[SOLVED] Screen turns black after installing new graphics card

Nov 9, 2019
I recently bought used Nvidia EVGA GTX 650 1gb ddr5, and everytime i plug in the card, screen turns black and everything else is working fine(screen is blank, and the power on monitor is green) . The computer works fine with integrated graphics and other older add in graphics cards, but not with this one. Interesting thing is that sometimes it gets display after i unplug power and plug it in. It worked like that for several days and than it gets black display after i turn it off and cant work again. Im thinking that the problem is in the monitor.
Dell 750 Tower Mini
8gb ddr2 ram
Q6600

Solution
If the problem is with monitor, you'd see same results (black screen) when using on-board graphics and older GPU as well. But since you get black screen only when using that dedicated GPU (GTX 650), i'd say the GPU is the culprit. Moreover due to the fact that you bought it used, with no guarantee that the GPU is problem free and without any warranty for GPU either (meaning that you can't RMA the GPU).

Keep in mind that when you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys. Or in other words, only good thing about used GPUs is their cheap price. The rest is a big risk.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If the problem is with monitor, you'd see same results (black screen) when using on-board graphics and older GPU as well. But since you get black screen only when using that dedicated GPU (GTX 650), i'd say the GPU is the culprit. Moreover due to the fact that you bought it used, with no guarantee that the GPU is problem free and without any warranty for GPU either (meaning that you can't RMA the GPU).

Keep in mind that when you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys. Or in other words, only good thing about used GPUs is their cheap price. The rest is a big risk.

Solution