Screen turns off during powersaving but backlight stays lit

mythe

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
I have my computer set to turn off the display after 15 mins of inactivity, but instead of cutting the signal to the monitors my computer seems to display a black screen the backlight still stays lit. Oftentimes my mouse pointer will still be visible as well.
I do not have a screen saver enabled.
Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Akaihiryuu

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Honestly, I think display power off is just broken in Windows 8. I never had this problem with Windows XP or 7, but I've noticed the exact same thing you have. The monitor turns off for about 5 seconds, then the backlight turns back on with a black screen (sometimes the mouse cursor is there, sometimes it isn't). Windows 8 just doesn't seem to be able to turn the monitor off.

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013

A bit late, but i don't think the problem comes from Windows 8, as i already had it on my old computer, and the display was properly going into standby with an ATI HD 4850. Now that i'm on Intel HD 4600, it doesn't properly go into standby.

Akaihiryuu

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

I actually figured out what was causing it. After I went through the process to install Media Center, it started acting up. I had to reinstall awhile back, and for a couple days I didn't mess with it, and the display standby worked fine. I then reinstalled Media Center, and it started acting up again. I uninstalled Media Center (with add/remove features), and it didn't work. I went through another process to edit the registry to reflect it as the "normal" Windows 8 edition (rather than the Media Center edition), and do a "refresh" install with that (preserving all installed software), bam problem fixed.

So Media Center is the issue, or was in my case. Just don't install it, there is FAR FAR better software out there that does the job (like XBMC).

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013

I know, there are far better software for video playback... But i have 8 pro, so i'm expecting it to work as it should. I didn't pay for it, i have to admit. As a matter of fact, i didn't pay for windows 8, or the free pro key back in december 2012. I got 8 and the free pro key before Microsoft issued a fix in late december, and the pro key validated my windows 8. But changing hardware, i had to re-validate the new installation through the windows phone activation, and it worked.

So the monitor sleep issue is still a minor hickup ;) But i'd like to fix it, if that's possible