screen went from color to black and white

pigeon55

Reputable
May 30, 2014
I downloaded the beta version of AMD's catalyst control center. released on 5/26/14, when I opened up the file it said I was missing "Something" and to download it, I did, and one of my three monitors turned from color to black and white. So I uninstalled that beta version and reinstalled the original version released on 4/24/14. But still it remained black and White. I called AMD and they had no idea how to fix it, but said it might be the display port adapter, and suggested I get a new one. I haven't done that yet, as I don't want to spend another 30 dollars right now. And since it happened when I hit the download button I'm not sure it's the display port adapter. I also switched the DVI port and the display ports and the black and white screen follows the display port adapter. So it's not the monitor. I also did a system restore but it didn't work. Anyone has any ideas.

Solution
Hey, im not sure if you found the fix for this. But you need to uninstall the AMD's catalyst control center and all the drivers that came with it. But before you do that, lets get some tools together to help you get rid of all the drivers that like to stick around even after you uninstall them..

First you will need to a program which deletes all the AMD drivers that hang around after you install them. The reason this happens, is so when you uninstall the display you dont have a massive resolution, and all your ICONS go out of wack. Its something thats annoying when updating drivers, but 90% of the time you can install over these drivers without issue. When you do run into an issue this type of stuff happens, and you find yourself here...

uputz

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Hey, im not sure if you found the fix for this. But you need to uninstall the AMD's catalyst control center and all the drivers that came with it. But before you do that, lets get some tools together to help you get rid of all the drivers that like to stick around even after you uninstall them..

First you will need to a program which deletes all the AMD drivers that hang around after you install them. The reason this happens, is so when you uninstall the display you dont have a massive resolution, and all your ICONS go out of wack. Its something thats annoying when updating drivers, but 90% of the time you can install over these drivers without issue. When you do run into an issue this type of stuff happens, and you find yourself here looking for answers =)..

The program i use is http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion/download You can download the free version and do what you need it to do. Also when installing this program make sure you check Custom and uncheck the extra program it wants you to install. You dont need it for this task.

Once you have install the program, you will need to be able to boot into safe mode. If you're on windows 8 you might want to read this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2809468

If you're not on windows 8 or 8.1 then pressing F8 while booting should give you the prompt window to go into safe mode.

Once you get into safe mode, you might notice your monitors are in color now. If they are not, then you might have another issue. But im sure they will be in color. Run the Driver Fusion program, and delete the AMD drivers that it shows. Once you have done that reboot into windows, and install your CCC drivers again..

Hope this helps, and anyone else who finds this.

Solution

eivl

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014

This worked for me, thanks! =)

AMDisconfusing

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
I got ride of everything AMD of of my computer, i am a 100% sure it isn't the monitor that has gone black and whit because when starting up the windows logo still has color. I am very confused on what to do next, any feedback will be appreciated.

ryuki7

Reputable
May 22, 2015
I fixed mine by accident so this may help. After the up-tenth install, I was prompted by that game recording software that came with the install that a new version of Catalyst is available. Turned out to be 14.4 which was released in April of 2014. Uninstalled it again but this time after reboot the older version came up and all my screens are color. I'll take it. :p

Soul_JacKER

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
1- Plug in your external monitor
2- Go to AMD Catalyst
3- Click on "My digital flat-panel" tab
4- Go on "Display color" and then press on the "default" button.

Hope this helps.

jjjpilot

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
I had the exact same problem. I have a Radeon 7870 graphics card with three monitors connected to it. I tried a few different things, but what finally fixed it was simply switching to the other display port output(my graphics card has 2 different places to plug in the display port so I just switched it to the other one).

edwardfathers30

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

I had the same problem, I know this is late but I found the easiest solution. Once you download catalysis and it suddenly goes black and white from the reboot. All that happened is that the settings on amd got changed randomly. The steps to fixing it are:
1. Go to AMD Radeon Settings
2. Go to display
3. Once in there, look for the display that is black or white (mine was display 1)
4. Click on colour
5. Then change all the colour settings to
- Brightness = 0
- Hue = 0
- Contrast = 100
- Saturation = 100
That should be all. Nothing is wrong with the computer and it does not require and installations, all that happened is the
display settings changed without your permission.

Feb 16, 2018
In Windows 10 there's an option to add colour filters to the screen. I'm not sure how, but mine got accidentally triggered. To undo this, go into Settings, Ease of Access, Colour & High Contrast. Make sure "Apply colour filter" is set to "off".