Screen will go black, and sound will after a few seconds, then it will turn back on. Afterburner loses connection.

lightboy26

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hi,
I recently purchased a MSI 1080 Duke OC a few days ago, I have been having problems with intermittent disconnects from my monitor. This only seems to happen when I am watching Netlifx, youtube or any other video online, but never during games sessions which I have left running just to see if ti did affect the card. I am running afterburner to monitor what happens after the fact, and it looks as though the tracker loses connection, all markers from temp, to core and memory clock speeds drop to 0 and then spike once the screen comes back on.
I have used DDU and reloaded the newest drivers and even went back to the one before that just to see if it was a software issue. I also ran GPU benchmark Furmark for about 10 minutes to see if I could cause it to overheat and see if that might have been the issue, but it never went above 72C. I'm not sure if this is a card defect or some other issue, I am also not OCing the card right now and don't intend to, just with the crunch on cards it was one of the few I could buy at a normal price range.
Do you think I need to RMA the card? or could it be another issue I am not considering?

Thank you.

Solution
I think I may have found an answer. I ran across it on the EVGA forum, I should have also mentioned my OS was Win 7 64 bit, apparently win7 is not meshing well with newer Nvidia drivers. I updated my OS to Win 10 and attempted to force the screen blackout by running multiple videos in browser, so far it has been several hours and no issues. I have also found that the card performs better in games as well running the frames smoother and having better timing in the frames. I will leave this here as just a comment for a few more days just to make sure it is correct before marking it solved.

Edit: It has been several days since the update to Win 10 and no issues have come up so I thinking the problem was an older OS and unstable driver...

lightboy26

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

Sorry I forgot to add:

1300W Rosewill Lightning PSU
16gb RAM DDR3 1600 CL 10
Intel i7 3820
MSI 1080 DUKE OC
500gb EVO 860 SSD
2TB WD HDD
500gb Seagate HDD (2.5) clone copy

CPU and GPU temps stay fairly cool when this happens, around 40C for GPU and 42C for CPU, it never happens in the middle of playing a game and I have run some pretty intensive ones to stress it.

lightboy26

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I think I may have found an answer. I ran across it on the EVGA forum, I should have also mentioned my OS was Win 7 64 bit, apparently win7 is not meshing well with newer Nvidia drivers. I updated my OS to Win 10 and attempted to force the screen blackout by running multiple videos in browser, so far it has been several hours and no issues. I have also found that the card performs better in games as well running the frames smoother and having better timing in the frames. I will leave this here as just a comment for a few more days just to make sure it is correct before marking it solved.

Edit: It has been several days since the update to Win 10 and no issues have come up so I thinking the problem was an older OS and unstable driver from Nvidia.

Solution