[SOLVED] Screen won't start along at all with my PC after RAM upgrade.

Aug 25, 2020
Hi.
I recently bought 2x4 GBs of DDR3 RAM at 1866 MHz because I had 2 other just like that, (if it matters I have had 2 2x4gb of the same brand/type red, and now same but black).
Today, the RAMs I ordered have arrived, and I put my PC to sleep mode, did not have PSU unplugged because I wanted to avoid getting my PC shut down (gonna tell reasons later).
Now, while in sleep mode, PSU plugged in, I put in the 2 other ram accordingly as my ASUS Maximus VII has the RAM slots, though when I wanted to start up my PC, it quickly shut down and ever since then, I could not get my screen booting up with my PC.
At first (here is the reasoning for the previous thing) I thought this will be just like the usual, saying "VGA No signal" because in the past everytime I had to shut down my PC, I needed to sit there 30 minutes trying to turn on and off the button at the back of my PC case, so that in a 1/200 chance my screen would start up too along with the computer. And the way I can avoid myself from having to go trough this meaningless strife just to game a bit is by making the computer asleep.
Hours of PC booting and shutdowning later though, I had enough and tried to see the cause of the problem by manually checking some guides online, though nothing helped. Didn't do anything fancy though, checked if there are bents on the monitor cables, replugged everything, waited, did the MemOK button, but as of the things go right now the CPU led and DRAM leds are flippin and lighting like crazy.
I saw the CMOS or whatever battery under my videocard but I am afraid of fixing stuff as a computer illiterate on my own too much, I may damage the insides unconsciously somehow.
Sorry if my text was a bit scattered, I myself am clueless on what is happening so I can only do so much. Thanks for anyone who'd help telling me what's going on or what to do.

Last edited:
Solution
It's a bit of a pickle now. I'd remove everything I could to try and get the PC to POST, but I can't tell you what that minimum is specifically since you've only mentioned the motherboard, a vague reference to the RAM, and nothing else about your PC whatsoever.

If you're that uncomfortable working with components, unfortunately, the only real solution failing success here would be to find a local PC store willing to at least diagnose your problem cheaply. Since for some reason you didn't actually resolve your existing issue before making an addition, you now likely have two serious problems with your PC, which means a lot of part swapping.

As for YouTube videos, nobody mentions this because it's pretty much assumed that you...
Aug 25, 2020
sound like you short the motherboard.
shut down the pc, unplug the power when you work on it.

and what the reason for not shutting down?
Why did not I shut it down? Because as written earlier, whenever I shut it down I'd have to hope and pray for my screen to turn on along with my PC. In the past I needed to fiddle around for 20 minutes for it to start, but as of yesterday (on the day I made this thread) I can't manage to boot up the screen too.
I did not knew, that just to add RAM I'd need to completely de-power my whole rig.
I watched videos and how you should manage but noone said a single word about DO NOT LEAVE THE PC RUNNING etc. I am part of the blame, I know. But what to do if I did get shortage on the motherboard? I am low on money, like really.

Aug 25, 2020
Sounds like something is now broken. More than it was before.
Yeah. Honestly no clue how to identify what broke. I might manage to get a test screen, and see if the problem is with my screen or not, if it is I think it's safe to say that I'd just need to buy a new one sometime, but if the test monitor won't turn on either I'll really gotta scratch my head on pinpointing what exactly is faulty.

Aug 25, 2020
at least the motherboard. might be the other ram, psu, cpu, gpu
I tried booting up my computer by only having the 2 old RAM, the 2 new only, 1 old, 1 new (when fiddling like so I made sure not to work on carpet + non-static hands), but nothing. Gently cleaned it too with a clean paintbrush.
I don't know much about PSU, CPU and GPU however as I am not really trained to properly examine them properly & troubleshoot.
Any ideas what I should do next? Kinda misty for me.

Aug 25, 2020
I suspect you need a new motherboard now.
I looked a little further and I am getting the code 30 error on my POST card, which is appareantly a failed BIOS update or something. Could it be, that if I take out the BIOS battery for a minute carefully, and put it back my problem could be fixed? Because appareantly that resets it. I don't want to believe that I'd need to buy a new motherboard. I'd see free solution first. >.< Oh.. well..

DSzymborski

Titan
It's a bit of a pickle now. I'd remove everything I could to try and get the PC to POST, but I can't tell you what that minimum is specifically since you've only mentioned the motherboard, a vague reference to the RAM, and nothing else about your PC whatsoever.

If you're that uncomfortable working with components, unfortunately, the only real solution failing success here would be to find a local PC store willing to at least diagnose your problem cheaply. Since for some reason you didn't actually resolve your existing issue before making an addition, you now likely have two serious problems with your PC, which means a lot of part swapping.

As for YouTube videos, nobody mentions this because it's pretty much assumed that you never fiddle with internal components on any thing that uses power while it's running unless you understand the risks and absolutely know what you're doing. I really wish you had asked some of these questions before you modified your PC.

Solution