Jan 30, 2019
My current system:

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600x
MOBO ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F
PSU EVGA 650GQ 80+ Gold 650W
RAM 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4
SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB Internal SSD
Monitor 2x ACER G236HL 23" Monitors

Built this almost exactly 1 year ago. No problems to speak of. I have the computer set to turn off the screen after 15 minutes of idle. Don't have it set to go to sleep, log out, etc., only turn off the screen.

Four times over the past 2 weeks or so however, I've woken up in the morning, tried to use the computer, and it doesn't "wake up". The screen stays black. I can hear fans and stuff running, and the power is still clearly on. Monitor lights are blinking (like they do when my system turns off the screen). So I have to either hit the reset button, or hold the power down and cold boot. Which is annoying to do, because sometimes I have unsaved work on there.

I checked device manager, and both my mouse and keyboard are set to be responsive even when the unit goes to sleep (it shouldn't be going to sleep though in the first place, since I have it set to never sleep, only turn the screen off after 15 min).

There was a windows update somewhat recently I think, but IIRC this problem happened at least once before that update. I haven't changed any drivers in a while on anything either leading up to this issue.

Any idea what might be the problem or how I can troubleshoot what might be causing the issue?

Probably left out the most important part. What graphics card do you have? Or are you running off the motherboard? What video cables have you used to connect to your monitors? If they're DisplayPort, Windows struggles with waking back up monitors connected through DisplayPort, though I haven't had many problems lately. Maybe it's the card + monitors, or a Windows version and graphics drivers version compatibility..

Jan 30, 2019
Oh crap yeah sorry, can't believe I forgot that...

Graphics Card MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

I believe one monitor is HDMI out, DVI in. Other monitor is just DVI. Hard to see back there, I don't do great cable management.

I haven't made any changes to Windows/Drivers in a while prior to this issue occurring, or else I'd feel like maybe it is an update thing. But maybe I'll just try updating all my drivers right now to see if that solves anything.