Screen won't work, after inserting networkcard

G

Hi!
I am writing this on behalf of my friend, and if you have seen the subject of this message, you know why :)

Anyhow, my friend doesn't know so much about computers, so I was the one who help him put in a networkcard. We opend up his computer, and just clicked in the networkcard in a free PCI port. Then, we put the chassi back on (and succeded only after MAJOR trouble... you know how irritating they can be!), and put in all the cords. Started the cumputer, and... BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP! A beep was heard from inside the computer, and the screen was black. But we heard the computer continue to boot, CD-ROM spinning and such. But after 15-20 seconds, it just shut of! Tried again, same thing. I know that the same beeping sound is heard when I havn't connected MY screen to MY computer, so I belive it has something to do with the screen, the graphicscard, or the cord in between. Put I can't see how that is possible, because we havn't touched ANY of those components! What the h**l can have happend! So please his parents are a little bit upset right now, and probobly blame me, so this post is as much for saving my own skin as for helping my friend! We have tried everything, connected, disconnected all cords, everything! Time after time! So what I need now is a swift working solution! Before his father kills me :) I think I have given you all information. Oh, by the way, the graphiccard is an old TNT2. That's it!

Thanx in advance!

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I assume you've tried taking the network card out again? Wasn't sure from what you wrote.

How many beeps do you get (or are they continuous)?

Give more details of what other cards are present, do you know what BIOS the machine has(Phoenix, Award...)?

My first shot in the dark would be that the graphics card is no longer correctly seated, this can happen when plugging in other cards, especially if the original system builder wasn't too diligent with mounting all the standoffs in the case.

G

Don't know exactly how many beeps, but I think it is 3-4 beeps. They are not continuos. No idea of the BIOS, and I can't see how it should help if I told you what other cards are present! But it is just an ordinary SB128 soundcard, Riva TNT2 32 MB graphiccard and that is about it! And yes, we have tried to remove the card again! And altough I think we already have tried pushing the graphiccard down, I will try it again!

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
The greater the knowledge of the hardware, the easier troubleshooting is, hence the question about the cards. Trust me, I've been doing this for years :wink: .

Remove all the cards.
Ensure the mobo is reasonably dust free.
Check that memory is seated correctly (remove and reseat it if you are not sure).
Check IDE and floppy cables are secure.
If the video card is PCI, reinstall in a different slot.
If it's AGP, try a PCI video card if you can get hold of one.

All the above may seem a bit noddy to you, you have to do it though, the alternative being the strong possiblity that the mobo is fried.

Post details of the beep code (how many, long beeps/short beeps, etc)?

Look for a seated chip on the mobo labelled AMI or AWARD, etc.

Need that to identify the beep code.

G

Thanx you 4 your ideas. I have taken out, and then reseated the Graphicscard... altough I did it before, and it didn't work, now it did! So thanx 4 your help, everything works!