Screens flickering, restarting, acting weird. (AMD)

Shedman

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
I just cant anymore.

Video that shows the problem

I had this problem some time ago, i stopped using the second screen because of it. Some time after that i installed windows 10 and boom, it worked. Although i had to use CRU as windows couldn't figure out the native resolution (1680x1050). Some time passed again and in a very stupid way i've got myself a lot of viruses (never lend your pc to younger siblings) and i have to format it. Everything goes smooth, CRU, drivers aaaand its back. Tried everything, from what i gatherd i know that:

1. It persists no matter if turn CRU on/off
2. It starts randomly after pc startup, but it WILL start if you turn on AMD's Cytalist Control Center. (In the video you can see windows 10 being goofy, dunno why it did that)
3. It will stop, and the windows screen settings will reset if you plug out and plug in the VGA cable.
4. Im 50% sure that it's AMD drivers fault.
5. With flickering you can hear windows plug in/out sound effect.

Please help me, im handicaped without the second screen and i dont want to spend more money for a new one :c

amtseung

Distinguished
It honestly doesn't help that you listed so much troubleshooting information, but didn't list what's in your PC.

Assuming you have an AMD graphics card since you say you are using Catalyst Control Center,

1.) Why are you still using CCC? AMD drivers went to Crimson a long time ago. Make sure you are running the latest drivers directly from AMD's website. Use Guru DDU to fully wipe your display drivers, and reinstall the latest one, which should be 16.10.3 Hotfix.

2.) AMD drivers and multi monitor set ups can do really weird things sometimes. I've had cases where a specific combination of monitors would make my graphics card crap out on me. To be fair, I've had a similar set of problems with Nvidia drivers. This is generally to do with auto-detect functionality, and that your monitors are of an uncommon resolution. This is not your monitor's fault.

3.) If your power supply is too weak or of poor quality, you graphics card isn't getting the smooth, consistent power it needs, causing it to flicker and flash and fail to display.

4.) You say that "the windows screen settings will reset if you plug out and plug in the VGA cable." Maybe the cable or the port on the monitor is damaged? A child kicking your display cable multiple times can easily send it to the trash bin.

Shedman

Commendable
Oct 29, 2016
Didn't think specs would do anything for this kind of problem.

PSU : Chieftec CTG-750C 750W
GPU : Sapphire Dual-x R9 280X 3GB
CPU : i5-4670K Stock 3,40 GHz
RAM : 8GB DDR3 Patriot Viper 3 1600 MHz
Memory : Some Samsung SSD 250GB for OS, some WD 1TB for games

Ad 1. I meant Crimson, im tired from trying to fix it, sorry.
Ad 3. 750W
Ad 4. Im 100% sure that it's on the software side tbh, but ill go buy a new cable and adapter tomorrow

Also, don't forget the fact that it worked for so long before, and came back after the format.

Thanks C: