[SOLVED] Screens Freeze solid colours and random crashes

Oct 17, 2020
It intermittently gets better/worse, sometimes letting me get to the desktop and use non hardware intensive apps like among us or discord. Sometimes it doesn’t even get me past the login page.

I get freezes of solid colours (usually the predominant colour on the screen prior to the freeze) followed by a loss of input and USUALLY a crash (if not i have to shut it down because it doesn’t get video or audio input back). However, sometimes I don’t get the colour freeze, just the loss of input.

I don’t think my temperatures are too high but i can’t check properly without opening any software (BIOS only shows CPU temp (60C))

I’ve had some previous issues recently (may be related) so I’ve got the latest graphics drivers, I’ve done a virus scan, I’ve put my 3200MHz RAM back down to 2400MHz, I did some kind of repair scan through command prompt (which i won’t pretend to understand) which said it had found and repaired some files, Updated Windows 10, I’ve adjusted cables in and on my PC, I’ve disconnected one monitor, I’ve also completely powered down the PC and unplugged it entirely all to no avail.

However, twice now I’ve been greeted with the “Windows failed to boot properly” menu (It only shows me that sometimes) and startup repair has said that it couldn’t repair my PC both times. (“Log file: C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt”)

I’m running an External HDD but booting off of an M.2 NVMe drive. I also have a B450 Steel Legend, 2700X, MSI Gaming X 1660 SUPER, 16GB of 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, and an EVGA 700BR on UNACTIVATED Windows 10

any help would be massively appreciated :)

EDIT It’s now consistently going all blue as soon as I hit space to go to enter my Password

Solution
It is worth noting that I now consistently get the crashes just after logging in when all my startup apps start to launch and in particular medal (in-game clipping software) which is notoriously really hard on your PC
Do you use this software daily? we can isolate windows from start up programs and see if you still crash or get weird colours.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped...

Colif

Win 11 Master
(“Log file: C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt”)
most of the time I see this error the only reliable fix is a reinstall of windows 10. it could be a reaction to the restarts you have been getting. Corrupted boot files.

so how do you mean you are running off an external drive, is the nvme tiny and most of the info games etc on the external? you be better off with an internal hdd as they tend to last me longer.

those solid color screens are not normal.

try running off an ubuntu live usb and see if you get same color thing, as if so its not windows and more a hardware problem - https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

Oct 17, 2020
most of the time I see this error the only reliable fix is a reinstall of windows 10. it could be a reaction to the restarts you have been getting. Corrupted boot files.

so how do you mean you are running off an external drive, is the nvme tiny and most of the info games etc on the external? you be better off with an internal hdd as they tend to last me longer.

those solid color screens are not normal.

try running off an ubuntu live usb and see if you get same color thing, as if so its not windows and more a hardware problem - https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

Yea I have a 512GB Internal NVMe which has windows10, basic apps like chrome and discord and a couple games but my external HDD has most of my other stuff (videos and games etc.)

How would I go about uninstalling and reinstalling Windows 10 without being able to navigate beyond the desktop or is it all done in the BIOS? Additionally, would I have to wipe my files?

It is worth noting that I now consistently get the crashes just after logging in when all my startup apps start to launch and in particular medal (in-game clipping software) which is notoriously really hard on your PC. It seems to launch last and I’m fine on my desktop (as far as I can see) until it tries to launch. Whether that indicates anything is beyond me but I thought it worth noting as should I be able to stop it from launching, I may be able to navigate further and access settings and control panel.

I should have also specified that the colour block screens don’t always crash my computer. I can’t see what it’s doing but it never powers down (judging from the lights in the case) and the fans spin up pretty hard when during this time.

But thank you for the help, I’ll try and get round to that ASAP :)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
It is worth noting that I now consistently get the crashes just after logging in when all my startup apps start to launch and in particular medal (in-game clipping software) which is notoriously really hard on your PC
Do you use this software daily? we can isolate windows from start up programs and see if you still crash or get weird colours.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

note: you can set up clean boot in safe mode so if you can't set it up in normal mode, due to problems, try setting it up in safe mode and then do a clean boot

One of several ways to get into safe mode:
on the logon screen, click the power button on bottom right of screen
while holding shift, click restart button
this restarts PC in windows recovery
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Now if you are needing to restart PC with the case button or unplug pc to power it down, its possible these actions can corrupt windows and hence the boot errors.

How would I go about uninstalling and reinstalling Windows 10 without being able to navigate beyond the desktop or is it all done in the BIOS?
The installer is on USB, you run it from the BIOS and don't need windows. If windows boots to the logon screen, there is a way to get the PC to boot from the USB without needing to change anything in the bios.

put USB into PC at startup.
on the logon screen, click the power button on bottom right of screen
while holding shift, click restart button
Choose Use a device
Pick your USB from list
PC will reboot from USB

Additionally, would I have to wipe my files?
Yes, any on the NVME. So copy anything off it onto the external hdd.

Yea I have a 512GB Internal NVMe which has windows10, basic apps like chrome and discord and a couple games but my external HDD has most of my other stuff (videos and games etc.)
that was my plan too, I ordered a 500gb NVME and when I got it, it was a 1tb NVME for same price. But I also have a 3tb internal hdd. The hdd hasn't got a lot on it yet as I have more space than I had planned on.

Last edited:
Solution