[SOLVED] screens go black and fan goes to 100%

Bentheball1

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
sometimes when i'm playing games, my screens randomly go black and my gpu fan instantly goes to 100%. i ran heaven benchmark earlier today for an hour with no issues but i played fortnite for 5 minutes after and it did the black screen thing. i've included the problem details that windows gave me and a pastebin link to my hwinfo log while i was writing this. i have no overclocks active.

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
CPU: Ryzen 3 1200
Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK
PSU: Corsair CX450M

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffbd031150b1e0
Parameter 2: fffff8011302dd60
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 6dc
OS version: 10_0_17763
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.17763.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 4105

idle hwinfo log: https://pastebin.com/jUCws8Uh

edit: it's probably also worth noting that my 12v voltage is usually around 11.5/11.6 which i think is an issue

Solution
I just built a pc a few days ago and am having your same problem. If anyone finds a fix please let us know
hey i ended up fixing this a couple weeks ago. my issue was with the physical connection between 24 pin cable and the slot on the motherboard. i fixed it by unplugging the 24 pin and inserting it back in with a little more force. let me know if it works

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
I've been having a similar issue.
How long have you had the card?
Does the whole system lock up and need a hard reset?

Have you tried increasing the power limit on your card?
Have you tried undervolting your card?

Lastly this is a fix I am going to try soon. Replacing the thermal paste on the GPU.
A lot of guys have had success with this. If the card is still under warranty I would suggest returning it if you can't fix it.

Is that your idle voltage or under load?

Bentheball1

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
I've been having a similar issue.
How long have you had the card?
Does the whole system lock up and need a hard reset?

Have you tried increasing the power limit on your card?
Have you tried undervolting your card?

Lastly this is a fix I am going to try soon. Replacing the thermal paste on the GPU.
A lot of guys have had success with this. If the card is still under warranty I would suggest returning it if you can't fix it.

Is that your idle voltage or under load?
i have had my card since june 2018, and i think it has a 3 year warranty and i’m talking to EVGA support right now. i haven’t tried any of the things you suggested. the system does lock up and i need to force shutdown (hold power button) to be able to shut it off.

Bentheball1

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
could you post a picture of hwinfo sensor page and use occt to stress test your psu for about 10 min in the same time check voltages before and during the test for the psu on the ooct page .
voltages before test View: https://imgur.com/a/N8IjAwV

i ran occt and the issue happened at around 6 minutes in. the 12v was fluncuating a lot from 11.8v to as low as 11.2v.

i also ran a hwinfo64 log during the OCCT test: https://pastebin.com/QN1MHw3f

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
your 12 volt line seams going down to lower specs near bottom valuse could you try to test system with another psu also i seen your cpu fan run only at 400 rpm ta is a bit low did you play with any settings in the bios for it ,to be safe for the ram i would memtest all stick one at the time .

Bentheball1

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
I just built a pc a few days ago and am having your same problem. If anyone finds a fix please let us know
hey i ended up fixing this a couple weeks ago. my issue was with the physical connection between 24 pin cable and the slot on the motherboard. i fixed it by unplugging the 24 pin and inserting it back in with a little more force. let me know if it works

Solution
Mar 9, 2019
Ok I’m am actually doing it now and will update you tomorrow and see how it goes