[SOLVED] Screens show one color, but pc runs fine.

May 18, 2021
I've had this problem for a couple of days now. My screens show one static colour on the screen, often red, purple or grey. I can still use my pc normally when this happens. I can normally pause and unpause videos and I can open stuff, but I can't see anything cause the monitor is showing the colour so the PC runs normally behind the colour. Sometimes it just resets the screens and then continuing to run normally sometimes it doesn't go away until I reboot the pc. I haven't done any upgrades or I haven't done anything to the computer recently.

I have done some research and some forums state that it could be the PSU. I'm not sure about that because I have upgraded it last year. I updated my bios and factory reset the whole system recently with no luck.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 9700k
Ram: 16gb HyperX 1333MHz (2x 8gb sticks same model)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 gaming plus
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660

Hoping to get quick help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
What is the make/model of your PSU?
Under heavy gaming load, the graphics card works harder and draws more power.
If your psu is low power or of poor quality, it could be at fault.

What is your monitor?
Strange artifacts may be a symptom of a failing monitor.
What inputs can it take?
Your motherboard has dvi and hdmi outputs.
Using an adapter if necessary, connect it to the integrated motherboard adapter and test.

Possibly your graphics card is failing.
Is the graphics driver up to date?
Are all of the connections secure?
I've had this problem for a couple of days now. My screens show one static colour on the screen, often red, purple or grey. I can still use my pc normally when this happens. I can normally pause and unpause videos and I can open stuff, but I can't see anything cause the monitor is showing the colour so the PC runs normally behind the colour. Sometimes it just resets the screens and then continuing to run normally sometimes it doesn't go away until I reboot the pc. I haven't done any upgrades or I haven't done anything to the computer recently.

I have done some research and some forums state that it could be the PSU. I'm not sure about that because I have upgraded it last year. I updated my bios and factory reset the whole system recently with no luck.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 9700k
Ram: 16gb HyperX 1333MHz (2x 8gb sticks same model)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 gaming plus
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660

Hoping to get quick help!
Hello, welcome to the forum

For troubleshooting purposes, can you do the folowing;
remove your 1660 from your pc
hook your screen to your mobo

does the problem go away?

May 18, 2021
Hello, welcome to the forum

For troubleshooting purposes, can you do the folowing;
remove your 1660 from your pc
hook your screen to your mobo

does the problem go away?
Sorry for not mentioning it, but I can start windows normally and I can use it for browsing and watching videos, but when I start doing something heavier like gaming or rendering it wants to do that. I don't think it is overheating problem because the temps are normal. (doesn't go over 76.) The graphics card has the only DP or HDMI output that my pc has so I cannot see anything when I boot the pc up again.

Sorry for not mentioning it, but I can start windows normally and I can use it for browsing and watching videos, but when I start doing something heavier like gaming or rendering it wants to do that. I don't think it is overheating problem because the temps are normal. (doesn't go over 76.) The graphics card has the only DP or HDMI output that my pc has so I cannot see anything when I boot the pc up again.

As far as i can tell your GPU is on it's way out, but to be sure, we really need to test it:

Let's go the other way around

Place your gpu inside another system and try it there

Do you have access to another pc? (friend/family/etc)

or do you have a screen you can lend/steal /borrow that works with hdmi

May 18, 2021
As far as i can tell your GPU is on it's way out, but to be sure, we really need to test it:

Let's go the other way around

Place your gpu inside another system and try it there

Do you have access to another pc? (friend/family/etc)

or do you have a screen you can lend/steal /borrow that works with hdmi
Tried with another pc and the same problem occurred. Finally got an error report, and the reason was that the rendering device has been lost. Could there be something another wrong with the system or is the graphics card reliable for the issue?

Thank you for your help!

What is the make/model of your PSU?
Under heavy gaming load, the graphics card works harder and draws more power.
If your psu is low power or of poor quality, it could be at fault.

What is your monitor?
Strange artifacts may be a symptom of a failing monitor.
What inputs can it take?
Your motherboard has dvi and hdmi outputs.
Using an adapter if necessary, connect it to the integrated motherboard adapter and test.

Possibly your graphics card is failing.
Is the graphics driver up to date?
Are all of the connections secure?

Solution
Good luck in finding a replacement, et alone at less than 2x msrp.

The good news is that you can probably sell your GTX1660 as is on ebay.
Miners do not care about display artifacts.
Just describe the condition and symptoms accurately and that the gpu is only for parts AS IS with no return.