[SOLVED] Screw keeps spinning

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
My mobo has 9 screws which go into the case

They are all in tightly and the mobo is secure. However one of the bottom screws - screws in properly however it never seems to " lock " into place. It screws and screws downwards and doesn't move whatsoever if i try moving it with my hand. It goes fairly tight but not so tight that it stops spinning

Is that OK ?

Solution
I'll leave it then. Not a major issue as the screw doesn't move around whatsoever it just doesn't " lock "

Huh, sounds like the case frame may have warped a little bit when screwing in screws and screwing out.
Make sure you do have the right screws for the case, "just" a tiny bit of size can ruin the case over time.
Learn the hard way last summer when my old case helios raidmax case finally fell apart after 7 years. 🧀
Is there a standoff missing? If not then the standoff may be thread stripped? If its stripped you can put alittle blue/medium thread locker (the kinds that's removable, not permanent or requires heat). Its not a big deal to leave 1 screw missing so I would suggest just taking it out so it does't rattle and fall and cause damage. Or you can take your board out and replace the standoff.

Reactions: simmyx

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
Is there a standoff missing? If not then the standoff may be thread stripped?

Nope all the standoffs are there. However when installing the mobo into the case I had to take it out as the I/O shield wasn't correctly aligned. When I came to unscrew the bottom three screws the standoff had came out of the case and I had to use pliers to take it out of the bottom of the mobo.

I do have some loctite thread locker. However as you say, one slightly loose screw shouldn't cause any problems.

This is the threadlocker I have....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BP9JPC9

Nope all the standoffs are there. However when installing the mobo into the case I had to take it out as the I/O shield wasn't correctly aligned. When I came to unscrew the bottom three screws the standoff had came out of the case and I had to use pliers to take it out of the bottom of the mobo.

I do have some loctite thread locker. However as you say, one slightly loose screw shouldn't cause any problems.

This is the threadlocker I have....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BP9JPC9
I wouldn't use threadlocker as it may cause much worse problems when you go to disassemble later.

EDIT: Oh yes, and I also wouldn't suggest leaving a loose screw in place that might fall out when you move the system. It's called FOD (Foreign Object Damage) and it's a major problem in many industries (especially aerospace).

One neat trick to dealing with a stripped out sheet metal screw is to put a short length of bare copper wire into the hole, then follow it with the screw. If you don't have an assortment of single conductor wires laying around to pick from just pull a few strands out of an old multi-strand wire or cable to do it with. Don't tighten too much and be sure to clip off and remove any excess when your done. For a non-structural fastener like a motherboard mounting screw it will work fine and provide a complete grounding path to avoid any possible problems with ground loops.

Last edited:
Reactions: madmatt30
I'll leave it then. Not a major issue as the screw doesn't move around whatsoever it just doesn't " lock "

Huh, sounds like the case frame may have warped a little bit when screwing in screws and screwing out.
Make sure you do have the right screws for the case, "just" a tiny bit of size can ruin the case over time.
Learn the hard way last summer when my old case helios raidmax case finally fell apart after 7 years. 🧀

Solution