Screw stuck in standoff

Jun 18, 2018
Motherboard screw stuck In standoff
I have tried pliers and have not gotten a grip and it is to close to cut it off without damaging the motherboard

Solution
I would suggest you to totally remove motherboard, then smaller pliers to grip standoff, push with screwdriver and try to unscrew, keep in mind if your screwdriver slips it might damage your motherboard.

Also that really worked for me most of time is , set screwdriver on screw then lightly tap on it, like hammering, while holding with pliers and try unscrewing while tapping, you need another person to hold pliers.
I would suggest you to totally remove motherboard, then smaller pliers to grip standoff, push with screwdriver and try to unscrew, keep in mind if your screwdriver slips it might damage your motherboard.

Also that really worked for me most of time is , set screwdriver on screw then lightly tap on it, like hammering, while holding with pliers and try unscrewing while tapping, you need another person to hold pliers.

Solution
Well, that is a pain in the rear. About the only thing you can do is unscrew the whole motherboard, saving the stuck screw for last. You are just going to have to use the stuck screw to unscrew the standoff, lift the board out, then you can grip the standoff with needle nose or other pliers and unscrew the screw. You shouldn't have to worry about it damaging the motherboard too much. All screw points are isolated and exposed copper on the screw holes is used for grounding to the case.

It will be a pain in the rear, but you'll be able to get it off.

TRENDING THREADS