Screwed up SSD tweak?

ohhgourami

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I saw this tweak to get more speed out of my ssd. Being late at night, I missed a step on the command. Let me show you:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows SSD alignment
To create an aligned SSD partition under Windows Vista/7, open elevated command prompt and run the following sequence of commands (each line followed by enter):

diskpart
list disk
select disk N (where "N" is the number for your SSD in the "list disk" command)
create partition primary align=1024
active
exit

Note: to create a partition of specific size (100MB), use: create partition primary size=100 align=1024

To verify the alignment:

diskpart
list disk
delect disk N (where "N" is the number for your SSD in the "list disk" command)
list partition

You should see a result similar to this:

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 128 GB 1024 KB

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to hit "active" so I'm not sure if I created that partition or not. When I try to redo it from step one, it says "Virtual Disk Service error: There is not enough usable space for this operation"

I have no idea how to fix this. Please help!

Solution
Start menu -> right click 'Computer' -> select 'Manage' -> 'Storage' -> Disk Management' -> right click your partition and select 'Mark Petition as Active'.

jajig

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Start menu -> right click 'Computer' -> select 'Manage' -> 'Storage' -> Disk Management' -> right click your partition and select 'Mark Petition as Active'.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS