Question Scrolling Issues

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Whenever I mouseover over certain windows or click certain windows, the screen starts to scroll down or to the right. If I go into Excel, it scrolls to the right, if I open a windows setting window, it scrolls down non-stop. But if I am Chrome, it does not scroll. If I play a game, it does not scroll.

It is very strange as I clicked on ScrollLock and nothing happens. I turned my mouse on and off, nothing happened.

I use both peripherals without cable.

Any advice?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

If I follow the steps inside the page that you have linked, which step would be different if I do NOT disable any microsoft services? Because in step 3, it clicks on "Hide all Microsoft services" (2) then in (3) it disables all. So basically I can follow all steps as shown in the link?

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Yes. Its from Microsoft. I expect they know what they are doing.
I tried the steps and the issue still persists after clean booting. Excel still scrolls to the right. Opening Windows File Explorer, when mouse overring the main window it does not scroll but if I mouse over on the left small side bar, it starts scrolling down.

What could cause this issue?

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, its not another program causing it.

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Wonder if it happens in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup settings
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
if it does, its an odd one. Could be hardware
If it doesn't it could be a driver problem

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
well, its not another program causing it.

right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Wonder if it happens in safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup settings
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
if it does, its an odd one. Could be hardware
If it doesn't it could be a driver problem

I did all steps mentioned and it still does it, even in safe mode.
If it is hardware, which steps could I take to figure out what it is?

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Since you mentioned hardware, I played around a little bit.

First thing I did was mouse over excel and let it scroll. Turned off wireless mouse and keyboard, kept scrolling.

Then I turned it back down and just went to my PC and unplugged the USB for the wireless mouse and keyboard. It stopped scrolling. I plugged it back in but changed the position of the 2 USB receivers and now the issue is fixed. Very strange.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder how to fix it. It happens in safe mode so its not a driver unless Microsoft is using a default driver. It must be as otherwise the wireless mouse wouldn't work.

USB drivers built into windows but I wasn't sure about wireless mouse support.

Who makes the mouse? maybe there is a driver update that replaces the Microsoft drivers,

Another possible option is check if you have a new BIOS update for motherboard as it could be it too.