ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
I'm going to be building a gaming rig for myself for the first time. I did a search on SCSI on this forum first before posting but what was written unfortunately left me with even more questions.

I'm interested in the speed that SCSI drives provide (boot-up, load times, etc.) and I don't need much hard drive space so 30GB's is more than enough for me. I've been on sites like Newegg and was looking at the Hitachi Ultrastar SCSI drives for my build. I was also looking at using a ASUS A8N32 motherboard (or similar).

If I want to use a SCSI drive as my only drive in my computer, what other components of the computer does the drive have to be compatible with? Just the motherboard, right? What specification on the motherboard spec sheet should I be looking for to see if a drive is SCSI compatible?

I read in a few of the other threads of the "controller" component of the drive. Is that a built in portion of the drive or is this another component I have to buy in addition to the Ultrastar (or other brand of SCSI drive)?

Is building a system with a SCSI drive vs. a conventional drive more difficult for a first time builder? What would the difference be?

Thanks for your advice.

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
That's exactly what I was thinking about doing, but I still haven't figured out the whole SCSI interface/installation thing yet. I've replaced hard drives in the past, but it seems that one just can't buy a SCSI drive, drop it in the computer, and let it do its thing.

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
the controller is a required part of the setup as it is what will communicate with the drives and the motherboard, it's just an add-in board (like graphics cards or sound cards) *some motherboards may have onboard scsi controllers, however, these boards are usually server boards, but i have seen them in enthusiast boards too*

i don't know too much about the specifics, but if you need to know more, you could try PMing wusy, he knows quite a bit on this stuff, and i'm sure others do too, but wait first to get replies.

Ara

*edited part*

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
SCSI is usually reserved for servers and hi-end workstations,

to setup a SCSI device you need a controller card, or your mobo has to have an intergrated SCSI controller, None of the desktop boards support SCSI AFAIK. Only server boards support SCSI natively.

The Performance increase you see with SCSI is noticable but not really worth it for only gaming.

Its much more cost effective to get 10k raptors instead of 15k SCSI drives because usually SCSI cards cost over a few hundred.

Another problem with SCSI drives that make them unsuitable for gaming is that they are loud and they require active cooling, usually a fan blowing over them will do.

Do a google search on SCSI and wikipedia should have some good info on the subject too.

HTH

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
the controller is a required part of the setup as it is what will communicate with the drives and the motherboard, it's just an add-in board (like graphics cards or sound cards) *some motherboards may have onboard scsi controllers, however, these boards are usually server boards, but i have seen them in enthusiast boards too*

i don't know too much about the specifics, but if you need to know more, you could try PMing wusy, he knows quite a bit on this stuff, and i'm sure others do too, but wait first to get replies.

Ara

*edited part*

OK, now that makes much more sense. So basically if you want a SCSI drive, you have to find a motherboard that specifically states that it has an onboard SCSI hard drive controller, which will be difficult to find unless you're looking for a server motherboard since SCSI drives are typically found on servers. If the mobo doesn't have a built in SCSI controller, you have to purchase a SCSI controller card that would plug into a PCI slot, and then connect the SCSI drive to the PCI controller card.

Well, assuming one wanted to learn how to do the above, is there a step by step guide somewhere? Is installing a SCSI drive any harder than putting in a ATA type hard drive, for example?

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
SCSI is usually reserved for servers and hi-end workstations,

to setup a SCSI device you need a controller card, or your mobo has to have an intergrated SCSI controller, None of the desktop boards support SCSI AFAIK. Only server boards support SCSI natively.

The Performance increase you see with SCSI is noticable but not really worth it for only gaming.

Its much more cost effective to get 10k raptors instead of 15k SCSI drives because usually SCSI cards cost over a few hundred.

Another problem with SCSI drives that make them unsuitable for gaming is that they are loud and they require active cooling, usually a fan blowing over them will do.

Do a google search on SCSI and wikipedia should have some good info on the subject too.

HTH

OK, thanks Nitro. Just the fact that the controller card + a small SCSI drive would cost much more than a Raptor basically ends the whole SCSI topic for me! I guess it's a Raptor for me.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Well since you want a gaming rig, then why not use raid 0 array with 2x36Gb Raptors. It's what I'm using and loads fast on both os and games. You don't really want to spend that much money for an SCSI drive and a card controller.

So can we see your list of the components are you buying. :)

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Well since you want a gaming rig, then why not use raid 0 array with 2x36Gb Raptors. It's what I'm using and loads fast on both os and games. You don't really want to spend that much money for an SCSI drive and a card controller.

So can we see your list of the components are you buying. :)

Yes, I'd be happy to list my components. I was going to do that later to get everyone's opinion when the list was finalized, but this is a very preliminary list.....Feel fee to state your opinions......Looking to spend around $2000.

Radeon X1900XTX or GeForce 7800 GT
min 600W power supply of some sort (haven't figured this one out yet, open to suggestions- need 38A on 12V rail for the above I think)
AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Toledo Socket 939
ASUS A8N32 (or similar ASUS mobo, haven't figured this one out yet)
WD 74GB Raptor (single drive, RAID too complicated for this newbie!)
Soundblaster XFI
2GB of quality RAM (open to suggestions)
case (ATX of some sort, haven't figured it out yet)
None of the above set in stone!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Get the X1900XTX, BFG 650watts PSU, CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB).

For your case a Thermaltake Armor would give it plenty of room.

Can I ask a question why you are not going for Conroe?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I would say get a 36Gb Raptor for your OS and get another sata drive like 100Gb or so for backup and storage.
36GB Raptor are slow compared to 74GB/150GB. They were experiment residues for the 74GB Raptor.
Heck, even a 160GB/platter Seagate 7200.10 will beat it.

Really! Well I didn't know that. I have the 74Gb raptor raid 0 and i thought the difference would be only the price. :oops:

What array are you using Wusy? :)

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Get the X1900XTX, BFG 650watts PSU, CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB).

For your case a Thermaltake Armor would give it plenty of room.

Can I ask a question why you are not going for Conroe?

Looks like Conroe is much more expensive than Toledo or Windsor.

Is the the 650 WATT BFG you're talking about? I have a gift card to burn up at CompUSA so if that's the one you're referring to, I'll probably take a good look at it........

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=cat3&product_code=339001&Pn=PC_System_650_Watt_ATX_12V_Power_Supply

Do you guys see any good cases in the CompUSA site? Those are the Thermaltakes you're talking about? I'll have a little left over if I buy that power supply.........

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah it's a good power supply for high performance and heavy moded rig. It comes with a lifetime warranty so I have no worries if this thing ever burn up. It's the best PSU I currently own.

dozer63

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
SCSI is a (or at least was) a big hassle you will need a good controller I'm guessing a couple hundred for one. A motherboard with a bios that will boot a
scsi drive and is compatible with it. My SCSI drives that i owned seemed short lived but Fast.