SCSI Hard Drive with Windows 10 Home

Doombot1

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Hello!

I just recently took two SCSI HDD's from an old PC (250MB and 1GB, 1993 and 1995 (respectively)). I have an adapter going from usb 2.0 (I know it works) to DB25 parallel port, and then a DB25 to SCSI External 50-pin low density adapter cable. I also have a SCSI external to SCSI internal cable salvaged from an old external SCSI drive (this is the only cable I am skeptical about but I believe that it works.) I want to connect the drive to my Windows 10 laptop via USB, as I have done with SATA and IDE drives in the past (I have an AC to 4-pin adapter for power - I know the hard drives both at least turn on because both of them spin when given power - they're somewhat noisy of course). My question is, why are neither of the drives appearing on my computer (not even in disk manager), even after waiting 10-15 minutes per drive just to make sure. Also - I do have a SCSI terminator on the cable, but I am not sure how that works - please explain that as well. Any ideas? (See the link for pics of my cables and setup). Here's the link to the pictures: http://imgur.com/gallery/6tyT9

Thanks!

-Doombot1

Solution
No No No No. You can NOT use a Parallel Port to run SCSI off of. Just because you have the adapters doesn't mean it will work. They are two WAY different protocols and will not work period.

As far as I know of there are no Good reliable SCSI to USB adapters out there. You need to get a SCSI Card in a PC. Preferably one that does 50 pin if not you can then use 50 pin to 68 pin SCSI Ultra wide adapters if the SCSI adapter does that.

Now you could get something like this

http://www.dx.com/p/pci-e-to-dual-pci-bus-slots-adapter-card-dual-port-usb-to-pci-mainboard-panel-set-black-blue-376620#.WBl1b_orJaQ

and plug the PCI into the laptop, then plug the RAID card (Will be either PCI or PCI-X which will both fit in there) and then get a...
No No No No. You can NOT use a Parallel Port to run SCSI off of. Just because you have the adapters doesn't mean it will work. They are two WAY different protocols and will not work period.

As far as I know of there are no Good reliable SCSI to USB adapters out there. You need to get a SCSI Card in a PC. Preferably one that does 50 pin if not you can then use 50 pin to 68 pin SCSI Ultra wide adapters if the SCSI adapter does that.

Now you could get something like this

http://www.dx.com/p/pci-e-to-dual-pci-bus-slots-adapter-card-dual-port-usb-to-pci-mainboard-panel-set-black-blue-376620#.WBl1b_orJaQ

and plug the PCI into the laptop, then plug the RAID card (Will be either PCI or PCI-X which will both fit in there) and then get a RAID card for that.

I would suggest this RAID card - aha-2940uw - as there are some windows 7 64 bit drivers that should work on 10 floating around. If not I have them as I have this card as well. Then use adapter to plug into this.

Solution

Doombot1

Commendable
May 25, 2016

Doombot1

Commendable
May 25, 2016

Whoops. I tried finding the same thing and couldn't for some odd reason. Pretend there was a picture of a direct SCSI CN50 to USB in that link (even though there is not). Basically it would be direct using only 1 cable instead of going SCSI to DB25 and then DB25 to SCSI. Would that work or would it have the same results?

Thank You,

Doombot1

Can not use any DB25 stuff. SCSI uses 50 PINs not 25.

Trust me. It will be better to just buy that cheap SCSI card that i suggested and the PCI to USB, I can send you the proper drivers, and then use that.

That or find an older PC with a PCI slot, buy the cheap SCSI Card and go from there.

Doombot1

Commendable
May 25, 2016

Awesome-thanks for the help-I appreciate it!

TRENDING THREADS