SCSI Probs :)

G

I have a SCSI drive and an IDE drive and I want to install windows 2000 on my SCSI drive and use the IDE one as a storage drive. However when I boot off the windows 2000 cdrom and try to install onto my SCSI Drive, it locks up at "Starting Windows 2000" on the bottom. I install the drivers for my SCSI Card and stuff before this happens. Anyways, I figured i'd try to install windows on my IDE and then format the SCSI from there, so I installed windows on the IDE. However, when I plugged the SCSI drive back in, it freezes the computer at the Windows 2000 startup screen when its booting up. The status bar gets about halfway through before it stops moving. So basically, if i have my SCSI Drive plugged in, windows cant do anything, be it on the install disk or on the actual OS. And it freezes on the install disk even if Im not installing on the SCSI Drive and trying to on the IDE. Welp, if anyone can help itd be great. I have a Quantum Atlas 10k III SCSI 36GB Drive. Thanks!

souljabigz@hotmail.com

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Try getting a firmware update for the drive. If I had the link I would give it to you, so if you could wait till Monday I will post the instructions and the link to where you can get the firmware update for that drive.

Try running the LLF and the Write verify from the SCSI controller BIOS. That should fail .. because the firmware update has something specifically to do with that on Adaptec SCSI controllers.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Some Atlas 10K III drives (KW) fail the Format Disk command from the Adaptec SCSI host adapter even though they are fully functioning. Atlas 10K III drives with firmware revision 020K will fail the SCSI low-level format (Format Disk) from the Adaptec U160 series host adapters.

First, verify that the drive does indeed have Firmware Rev 020K by running the QDPS_SCSI utility, http://www.maxtor.com/Quantum/support/csr/software/disk_binaries/qdps_scsi.exe. Firmware Rev is listed directly under Serial Number in QDPS_SCSI. To upgrade the firmware to revision 020V, customers need to download two files from our FTP site, ftp://63.72.66.179/pub/Quantum Products/Disk_Firmware/. These files are located in the Atlas 10K III folder. The first file, DL_SCSI.EXE, is the utility that is used to flash the firmware. The second file, 020V44GN.OSL, is the actual firmware upgrade. Combined, these two files are approximately 392 KB, so they should be downloaded to a blank floppy disk. To eliminate any confusion, it's best to have the 10K III as the only device on the SCSI chain, and set the ID from 0-6. The firmware upgrade procedure is as follows:

1. Boot to a Windows 98 Startup Diskette, or a boot diskette with ASPI DOS drivers.

2. Select CD-ROM Support to load the ASPI drivers.

3. Insert the diskette with DL_SCSI.EXE and 020V44GN.OSL.

4. From the A: prompt, type DL_SCSI 0204V44GN.OSL

5. You should then see the following information:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
DL_SCSI 1.00 (Jul 07 1998), (c) 1998 Qunatum Corp. Field Operations Group
Scanning 1 ASPI-driven SCSI bus...
Drv# [H/A #]Host Adapter SCSI ID Vendor Product ID Revision
---- ------------------- ------- ------ ---------- --------
0 [0]ADAPTEC AIC-7870 0 'QUANTUM' 'ATLAS10K3_73_WLS' '020K'

Type Drv#(0..0) to download with "020v44gn.osl", R to rescan, or Esc to exit
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

6. Select the drive to be upgraded by Drv# (not SCSI ID)..

7. You will then see the following message:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Writing 369K bytes of firmware from update file "020V44GN.OSL"
Bytes left: 0
Please be patient : the drive is now reprogramming its FLASH memory, which may take as long as THREE MINUTES! If the drive loses power during this process, it (and the data on it) will become INNACCESSIBLE, with factory intervention required to restore accessibility, so please don't disturb the drive in any way...

Firmware download completed for this drive!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

8. The utility will then rescan the SCSI bus, and they should see the new Revision as ‘020V’.

9. Try to run the SCSI Low-Level Format (Format Disk) again.

References:
FTP Firmware Site : ftp://63.72.66.179/pub/Quantum Products/Disk_Firmware/

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

G

I assume you have disabled the boot from the IDE HD in the Bios, have you enable the SCSI to boot from the mainboard Bios and SCSI Bios ?
How have you set the hard drive up right:
Its preferable at the end of the ribbon and as device "0", also check that extra jumper set to make sure they are right (if it has them).
Check the cable/ribbon is not faulty. What PCI/SCSI controller card do you have?

I have just done the exact same thing as you with problems of a different nature, I eventually unplugged the IDE drive and set-up the SCSI with a full format, partitioning and clean install -whatever, then loading up all the drivers and settings with a few restarts. When I was happy it was stable I imaged and backed it all up on a CDr, then I plugging the IDE HD back in and was only being detected in the Bios scan but not set at all in anyway in the boot sequence.
I also cleaned the O/S out of it ASAP, copied what files I wanted and then formatted it.
I was recently advised to stay with the fat32 system until after it’s all set-up, even then NTFS may not be worth it.

Good luck.

If it aint broke don't fix it, just tweak it instead!

TRENDING THREADS