Scsi termination, too many drives terminated

G

I have a adaptec 29160 with a Plextor 40x cd, and 12432 plextor cdr on the 50 pin connector, cd terminated on the last connector. I also have a Seagate 9 GB, 7200 rpm hdd on the 68 pin se chain, it is not terminated. This setup runs great after disabling domain validation in the scsi bios. I tried to add a second 2GB Seagate 5400 rpm drive to the 68 pin SE chain, this is when I get the too many drives terminated message at boot. I switched the hdds around on the cable, even terminating the last drive, still the same. Does the 50 pin need to not be terminated for this to work? What if I switched these to the lvd chain? I also have 2 ide ata33 hdds and a ide dvd drive in the machine. Thanks, Ray

G

The only thing I can think of is, make sure both drives are of the correct type on the correct chain. You can't mix LVD and non-LVD drives, though some drives are smart enough to figure out which chain they're on. The sizes you're talking about makes it sound like they're fairly old drives.

Unfortunately I'm no SCSI expert; I just happen to have three LVD drives running in my machine, two of which I installed myself. I don't know what, if anything, domain validation has to do with it.

Perhaps there is a jumper on one of the drives that activates the termination instead of it doing it automatically? Check the drive documentation (which is typically sparse).

--dv

<font color=purple><b><i>--Insert witty saying or aphorism here--</i></b></font color=purple>

G

Thanks, I found the manual online. After many tries I figured out what jumper was what on the hdd. These are old drives, free from my brother. The 5400 is a Seagate Hawk, 5kb/sec transfer, it is my win98 drive now. Everyday I learn something new about scsi, thanks for your help.

G

You mean something I said actually helped? I'm ... thankful. I was grasping at straws.

Glad I could be of service.

--dv

<font color=purple><b><i>--Insert witty saying or aphorism here--</i></b></font color=purple>