Scumm VM Confusion???

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Hi,

OK, I don't understand this Scumm VM thingy.

I thought that it meant I could take my old PC games and then run them
through scumm so that they would work on my mac. (I'm talking Broken
Sword 1 and 2 btw)

If not, why not. And if you answer to that is, "you stupid tart of
course not, it needs the mac games for it to run on a mac" why is
there an emulator??? what is it emulating??

I'm rather confuzzled

If however I'm almost on the right lines, it would be brilliant if
someone could be so kind and go to the effort of going through an
Idiots Guide to how I make it work?
I've got a few working but i think they are all the full games, i
don't use any cds or anything. (BASS works fine for instance as does
Lure)

Any help would be grand

Thank you

Nick
(feeling a lot more like Professor Yaffle today...hang on wasn't he
supposed to be the clever one?)

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

> Hi,
>
> OK, I don't understand this Scumm VM thingy.
>
> I thought that it meant I could take my old PC games and then run them
> through scumm so that they would work on my mac.

That's the idea. SCUMM (LucasArts) games in particular, but they support
some others as per the compatibility list
(http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php)

(I'm talking Broken
> Sword 1 and 2 btw)

Again, according to the game compatibility list, you're in luck:
"Broken Sword I 98%

No known issues, game is completable.
- Only the PC version has been tested. We don't have any other versions,
so we can't make any promises about them."

> If not, why not. And if you answer to that is, "you stupid tart of
> course not, it needs the mac games for it to run on a mac" why is
> there an emulator??? what is it emulating??
>
> I'm rather confuzzled
>
> If however I'm almost on the right lines, it would be brilliant if
> someone could be so kind and go to the effort of going through an
> Idiots Guide to how I make it work?
> I've got a few working but i think they are all the full games, i
> don't use any cds or anything. (BASS works fine for instance as does
> Lure)
>

> Any help would be grand

You don't need to install the games using the game's own setup program.
ScummVM just needs the data files. According to the data files FAQ
(http://www.scummvm.org/documentation.php?view=datafiles) the files
needed for Broken Sword are

*.clu
swordres.rif
MUSIC folder
SPEECH folder
Rename speech.clu on CD1 to speech1.clu
Rename speech.clu on CD2 to speech2.clu

and for Broken Sword 2

*.clu
*.inf
*.tab
credits.bmp
Rename music.clu on CD1 to music1.clu
Rename music.clu on CD2 to music2.clu
Rename speech.clu on CD1 to speech1.clu
Rename speech.clu on CD2 to speech2.clu

These probably shouldn't be in the same folder as each other :)

Then you run ScummVM, click on Add Game, point it to the directory where
you saved the data files (name the game? I can't remember, it's been a
while) and you're done.

I don't know for sure that these instructions are as fool-proof as all
that, since I was playing the Sold Out version on a PC, which worked
without having to use ScummVM.

HTH.

CK

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 01:15:09 +0100
CK <CatKiller@nospamplease.Bigfoot.com> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > OK, I don't understand this Scumm VM thingy.
> >
> > I thought that it meant I could take my old PC games and then run
> > them through scumm so that they would work on my mac.
>
> That's the idea. SCUMM (LucasArts) games in particular, but they
> support some others as per the compatibility list
> (http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php)
>
> (I'm talking Broken
> > Sword 1 and 2 btw)
> >
> Again, according to the game compatibility list, you're in luck:
> "Broken Sword I 98%
>
> No known issues, game is completable.
> - Only the PC version has been tested. We don't have any other
> versions, so we can't make any promises about them."
>
> > If not, why not. And if you answer to that is, "you stupid tart of
> > course not, it needs the mac games for it to run on a mac" why is
> > there an emulator??? what is it emulating??
> >
> > I'm rather confuzzled
> >
> > If however I'm almost on the right lines, it would be brilliant if
> > someone could be so kind and go to the effort of going through an
> > Idiots Guide to how I make it work?
> > I've got a few working but i think they are all the full games, i
> > don't use any cds or anything. (BASS works fine for instance as does
> > Lure)
> >

> > Any help would be grand
> >
> You don't need to install the games using the game's own setup
> program. ScummVM just needs the data files. According to the data
> files FAQ (http://www.scummvm.org/documentation.php?view=datafiles)
> the files needed for Broken Sword are
>
> *.clu
> swordres.rif
> MUSIC folder
> SPEECH folder
> Rename speech.clu on CD1 to speech1.clu
> Rename speech.clu on CD2 to speech2.clu
>
> and for Broken Sword 2
>
> *.clu
> *.inf
> *.tab
> credits.bmp
> Rename music.clu on CD1 to music1.clu
> Rename music.clu on CD2 to music2.clu
> Rename speech.clu on CD1 to speech1.clu
> Rename speech.clu on CD2 to speech2.clu
>
> These probably shouldn't be in the same folder as each other :)
>
> Then you run ScummVM, click on Add Game, point it to the directory
> where you saved the data files (name the game? I can't remember, it's
> been a while) and you're done.
>
> I don't know for sure that these instructions are as fool-proof as all
>
> that, since I was playing the Sold Out version on a PC, which worked
> without having to use ScummVM.
>
> HTH.
>
> CK

You've missed one important point - the Broken Sword games used a
proprietary video codec to record the cutscenes, which the ScummVM
developers have been forbidden to use in the emulator.
Fortunately the very nice people at Revolution Software have re-encoded
the movies using a codec that ScummVM can understand, and have put the
new files up for download (you can find a link to them in the downloads
section of the ScummVM site). Download them, and follow the
instructions to replace the old movie files with them. You'll need to
burn them onto new CDs if you're not using a hard disk installation, but
that's probably not a good idea unless you use a DVD recorder, as I
don't think ScummVM can currently cope with disc swapping.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Tom

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

> You've missed one important point - the Broken Sword games used a
> proprietary video codec to record the cutscenes, which the ScummVM
> developers have been forbidden to use in the emulator.
> Fortunately the very nice people at Revolution Software have re-encoded
> the movies using a codec that ScummVM can understand, and have put the
> new files up for download (you can find a link to them in the downloads
> section of the ScummVM site). Download them, and follow the
> instructions to replace the old movie files with them. You'll need to
> burn them onto new CDs if you're not using a hard disk installation, but
> that's probably not a good idea unless you use a DVD recorder, as I
> don't think ScummVM can currently cope with disc swapping.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Tom

That's useful to know. Thanks, Tom.

As I said in my reply, I hadn't tried either Broken Sword with ScummVM
since the versions I have work fine on my PC.

CK