Scythe Kozuti Mini-ITX CPU Heat Sink Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

pit_1209

Distinguished
is it just me or there´s something wrong with that conclusion. I mean, the fan it´s louder and can´t get better temps than the stock without resorting to high rpm, as I said been much more louder in the process so you have to pay $50 for an equal cooling solution or get used to some jet like party inside your build for 7c less. What did I get wrong?

g-unit1111

Titan
I'd love to see a round up of ITX components and SFF builds with ITX cases, I think things are definitely starting to get very interesting in that area. Especially with Steam OS due next year I think ITX could really be a game changer.

squirrelboy

Honorable
May 3, 2013
"an 11mm-thick 8cm fan"
"6mm heat pipes"
Dimensions in inches.
Weight in I'm gonna guess oz is ounces.
Heat pipe dimensions suddenly in mm.
More dimensions in inches.
Temp difference in Kelvin.
"And at 1.6” tall, it stays clear of our 2" threshold."
"a 12cm fan"

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
@pit_1209 - Yeah, I came up with that same question myself. This cooler seems worse than the stock Intel one in cooling until you kick up the fan speeds to higher rpms; leading to higher noise.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
@pit_1209 - Yeah, I came up with that same question myself. This cooler seems worse than the stock Intel one in cooling until you kick up the fan speeds to higher rpms; leading to higher noise.

yeh, the conclusion is strangely, Intel boxed cooler ftw. I guess the radiator capacity is the bottleneck here, heat pipes isnt going to do anything on such a thin heatsink i dont think.

Myrkvidr

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

You're not supposed to use it in a rather big ITX computer case like I'm using due to compatibility (one ITX testing station should be enough - beside all the other testing stations we're actually running^^). But if you choose a SFF-ITX solution the stock cooler might not fit -> that's where the Scythe Kozuti, Noctua NH-L9i etc. come into play. Besides - what the sound level measurements won't tell you @dB(A): the sound characteristic of INtel's stock solution is lousy although the dB(A)-values are quite okay.

-> translation issue, sorry. The reviews were published on our German website a couple of weeks ago and went on to the translation team for the US site.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I put one of these in the NAS I built. The whole purpose of the passive PSU and silent case fans were defeated by this cooler. So now it resides in a room I rarely spend any time in.

leclod

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2014
Hi Guys, I've got the Arctic Freezer 11 LP. It's roughly 2" and great for me. Right now it runs at 1110RPM 40° on my 3770. Impossible to hear in my already quiet computer.

Bannereus

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Honest question here, where did the 2" standard come from?

Last time they did a low-profile round-up, 4" was the ceiling (height of a graphics card slot above the motherboard).
Do all mini-ITX cases now prevent graphics cards from mounting without an adapter?

pit_1209

Distinguished

Thanks for making that clear for me.

digiguyONE

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
I don't know what all the fuss is about.

I've been using 4 of these coolers in cube cases for the past 3 years are so.
The fans are terrible as 3 of them have presented problems by not spinning up fast enough (probably caused by dirt build-up) so that they cause the system to halt at booting time.
Cleaning these fans is a nightmare as you have to get the fans out of under the heatsink. Usually, depending on the way you have installed them, this can only be done in one direction and even then you'll have to remove the RAM first.
Refitting them is equally frustrating if not more so.
Yes you can mount a 100mm or even a 120mm fan (with a bit of skill) on top, and get better cooling results, but this rather defeats the purpose of such a low profile cooler, even if you choose to use a slim type fan.
You could even choose to mount the fan so it sucks the air through the heatsink away from the motherboard, which in my cases would have been more effecient but all of this just makes it more of a hassle and even more expensive.
All in all I would not recommend this cooler just because of its fan and would rather look at a Prolimatech Samuel 17 as an alternative.

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Lord I hate when my comment is vaporized because I wasn't logged in. If this is the future, lemme tell ya folks; It sucks!

In my experience, blowing air through the fins is better. Fans are kind of crappy. Heat sinks are square, but fans are round and they have a motor in the center, so all they do is blow a rather scrawny ring of air through the HS finnage.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'd say find yourself a good deal on a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B. It has 2 more heatpipes and a 120 mm fan on top. I don't know how the overall dimensions compare, but I'll know soon enough if it works in my mini-ITX build. Also, I'll run a 140 mm round fan on it, if I can.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Totally agree. Unfortunately, I think Xigmatek or somebody has a patent on it.

BTW, you can regain some efficiency if you're willing to lap your heatsink & CPU. I did my last two heatsinks, but I haven't yet risked lapping a CPU. If you do only your cooler, just make sure your CPU isn't concave, first.

Many ITX builds don't use dedicated video cards and have slimmer cases. There are also cases that mount their pci-e slot on a daughterboard that makes the video card parallel to the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.