[SOLVED] Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition Temps with ryzen 5 3600 @ stock

lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
Hey guys, I have just upgraded my cooler from stock to the scythe mugen 5 Black edition, as of the moment cpb is enabled in my bios but pbo is disabled.
My temps reaches 80-85c when running prime 95 small ffts with an average speed of 3.8ghz and voltages around 1.2-1.3v according to hw info.

At first this seems to be a great result for me however, one of my buddies that has the same r5 3600 uses a snowman t6 cooler that also shows similar temps, speed and voltage as mine.

Is this normal? I have tried to remount at least 2 times already, I seem to have even distribution of thermal paste, I use arctic mx-5, every application but we are still have the same temps.

P.S. he uses a gd900 as thermal paste and he also has the same mobo but in its matx form (b450m steel legend) while I use the full atx version (b450 steel legend) and we both tried this with the same exact settings in the bios

Hope someone can help me here thank you

Solution
Can't get a concrete answer, with this being part speculation, and part missing details.
1)Silicon lottery. No 2 cpus will have the exact same boost bins; some can boost to a specific speed requiring less voltage than the one they're being compared to.

2)Some users are compelled, or feel compelled, to fill every optional fan slot up. That is not practical in most chassis, and in actuality, can make things worse.
The number of chassis out there where filling all their optional fan slots is ideal, probably can be counted on one's hands...
Cooling is more efficient when air travels as straightforward as possible, and with as few resistances as possible.
The setup with 3 fans has smoother air traffic. The one with 6 may as well be a...
Hey guys, I have just upgraded my cooler from stock to the scythe mugen 5 Black edition, as of the moment cpb is enabled in my bios but pbo is disabled.
My temps reaches 80-85c when running prime 95 small ffts with an average speed of 3.8ghz and voltages around 1.2-1.3v according to hw info.

At first this seems to be a great result for me however, one of my buddies that has the same r5 3600 uses a snowman t6 cooler that also shows similar temps, speed and voltage as mine.

Is this normal? I have tried to remount at least 2 times already, I seem to have even distribution of thermal paste, I use arctic mx-5, every application but we are still have the same temps.

P.S. he uses a gd900 as thermal paste and he also has the same mobo but in its matx form (b450m steel legend) while I use the full atx version (b450 steel legend) and we both tried this with the same exact settings in the bios

I built my friend a r5 3600 rig with b550m gaming, did update bios to the latest, reinstall to windows 11, install amd chipset and us amd ryzen balanced power plan, using ID Cooling SE 224 XT cooler with gelid gc extreme paste, using the X method, reaching 4.1 all core while encoding a video and aida 64 stress fpu only, @1.35v and temps @82 ish.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

I don't see anything wrong really.
For temp differences it can vary a lot using different cases, fans, and video cards.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
we both have the same case, it is a rakk haliya (local case in my country) case that has a full mesh front panel
Similar, but still different, setups and silicon lottery. You can't compare temperatures between components, even if they're all under the same condition. Why? Because they're not the same silicon and not every fan is 100% the same.

lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
Similar, but still different, setups and silicon lottery. You can't compare temperatures between components, even if they're all under the same condition. Why? Because they're not the same silicon and not every fan is 100% the same.
so does this mean that it looks like I lost the lottery? that is why I am having highers temps than him with the same voltages?

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
so does this mean that it looks like I lost the lottery? that is why I am having highers temps than him with the same voltages?
You didn't lose the lottery, otherwise you'd have parts with performance issues.

This only means the difference between the two setups is negligible. You're expecting a miracle performance from your Mugen 5 compared to your friend's "cheaply made" cooler.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Can't get a concrete answer, with this being part speculation, and part missing details.
1)Silicon lottery. No 2 cpus will have the exact same boost bins; some can boost to a specific speed requiring less voltage than the one they're being compared to.

2)Some users are compelled, or feel compelled, to fill every optional fan slot up. That is not practical in most chassis, and in actuality, can make things worse.
The number of chassis out there where filling all their optional fan slots is ideal, probably can be counted on one's hands...
Cooling is more efficient when air travels as straightforward as possible, and with as few resistances as possible.
The setup with 3 fans has smoother air traffic. The one with 6 may as well be a traffic jam.

3)Room ambient and chassis ambient temperatures between the 2 rooms are unknown.

4)The Snowman T6's fin array, which is crimped/folded at the sides.
This aids in forced, or guided, convection towards the rear of the cooler without losing air pressure at the sides, which equates to more effective cooling.
Hmm, wonder why more manufacturers aren't doing this kind of thing...

5)Gpus are unknown.

Solution

lockdown744

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017

The setup with 3 fans has smoother air traffic. The one with 6 may as well be a traffic jam.

3)Room ambient and chassis ambient temperatures between the 2 rooms are unknown.

4)The Snowman T6's fin array, which is crimped/folded at the sides.
This aids in forced, or guided, convection towards the rear of the cooler without losing air pressure at the sides, which equates to more effective cooling.
Hmm, wonder why more manufacturers aren't doing this kind of thing...

5)Gpus are unknown.
will try out different fan configurations, thanks