Scythe's New Mine 2 HSF Has Eight Heatpipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i think this design of HSF is going to be seen more and more often... if the top of the CPU has evenly distributed heat, than this design seems good, but if two heat pipes are trying to offset heat more than the other heatpipes, those heatsinks should be larger

anyone get what i'm trying to say?

cynewulf

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]if two heat pipes are trying to offset heat more than the other heatpipes, those heatsinks should be larger[/citation]

The heatspreader on a CPU distributes the heat fairly evenly so this shouldn't really be necessary, but more importantly these heatsinks have to cater for all different kinds of CPUs with the cores in different configurations and positions. They'd have to cater for one particular type and exclude the others.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]I don't like the fan-in-the-middle design...that means one side gets heat blown pulled from the other side...[/citation]

I tried to tell that to the guys at prolimatech and suggested they move the heatpipes into the center and then up but they said that while that would offer better cooling in theory, it would bend the heatpipes too much to be effective.

Also a friend of mine had one of those fan in the middle designs and the hs actually broke the fan because the fan accidentally nicked the hs and part of the fan blade came off which caused a catastrophic failure of the fan and the flying plastic bent several of the hs fins to boot.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I had a Scythe for my quad core box I built a couple of years ago. The fan failed. I used my good old standard cooler-master (which has been running 24/7 on another box) to replace it. Ordered another cooler-master to replace that one.

There should be 2 fans, one on each side, blowing air away from heatsink. That way they would create a vacuum in the center, forcing cool air to drop on the base of the heatsink before it gets expelled by the fans.
If one can attach the fans as such, I think this could be a winner.

Own a Mugen2 and very pleased with it's performance. Have owned multiple Scythe products over the years and never disappointed.

Interested to see any benchmark tests and how it compares to Proligmatech.

masterbinky

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
if your talking airflow it would be more important to cap the edges of the HS to force the airflow through more of the central fins instead of shortcutting through the edges right? And even with the typical heatsink in a push pull configuration, your getting hot air on one side of the heatpipes anyways, so using a fan in the center the encourages airflow through the higher resistance central area of heatsink, doesn't sound like a poor idea. Besides, dimpled fins, and i think with holes in the dimples, have been shown in a couple papers to give the best internal air turbulance for better cooling, so even then, this isn't doing the best you possibly could

f-14

Distinguished
this thing looks pretty creative, i bet you could put a fan on every side to exhuast heat and let it draw from the top and bottom center. no idea how effective this would be but it looks set up for dual or triple fan~
push->pull&push->pull ?
personally i like the coolermaster jet7 series as there was no dead space with centrifugal/radial fans & were way quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.