SD Card doesn't work after formatting to NTFS - tried everything, plz read

BhargavJ

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I have a 16 GB SD Card, which I use at times in my phone. It was probably formatted as FAT32, but for no reason at all, I decided to format it as NTFS. Now it doesn't work at all. Before this NTFS formatting mistake, it worked perfectly. Please note that I do not want to recover any data; I just want to reformat it as FAT32 and use it.

I'm using a USB data card reader that connects to the laptop to access this SD Card. The OS is Win 8.1.

1. Right-clicking on the partition in Windows and selecting Properties shows used space, free space and capacity as 0 bytes.

2. Trying to quick format it to FAT32 by right-clicking the drive icon in explorer doesn't work. The formatting fails.

3. Trying to format using the command prompt using "Format /FS:FAT32 /X drive_letter:" gives the message:

Insert new disk for Drive D:
and press ENTER when ready...
The type of the file system is RAW.
The new file system is FAT32.
Verifying 0.0 bytes.
Cannot determine the number of sectors on this volume.
Format failed.

3. Using the command prompt and "chkdsk drive letter: /f /r" gives the message "The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives."

4. Trying to format using Disk Management gives the message - "data error (cyclic redundancy check)".

5. Using the command prompt and running diskpart - list disk - select disk # - clean gives the cyclic redundancy check error. The log in Event Viewer has a lot of entries, all saying "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR25, has a bad block." I hope it is referring to the SD Card and not the main Hard Disk. Using the delete partition option, it says "There are no partitions selected. Please select a partition, and try again."

6. Using TestDisk - No Log - Selecting the SD Card (15 GB / 14 GiB) - Intel - Analyse - gives Partition: Read error - Quick Search and Deeper Search give nothing at all; however, when it is searching, it does show read error about three times, then it gives options to add partition / load backup, but I don't know what to do. Selecting Write MBR Code and Clear Partition Table after Intel also fail.

6. Using the software PartitionGuru and right-clicking and selecting Rebuild Master Boot Record gives the error "Build Master Boot Record error.(00000017) Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

7. Trying to quick partition using the above software also give the cyclic redundancy check; here's a screen:

Then it give the same cyclic message and everything fails.

So... what do I do? :(

Thanks.

Iamsoda

Distinguished

It is great to tell people "search for it" but many times people don't know what to search for or search the wrong thing.

BhargavJ

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I had earlier searched for this cyclic redundancy thing and didn't get anything.

Tried SDFormatter, but it says "This drive is not supported." The format option is greyed out.

TRENDING THREADS