SD card error: The directory or file cannot be created

paulb104

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
I have two 2GB SD cards, one from Ultra (60x) and one from Topram (150x).

I cannot fill the root directory with mp3's. I have 474 mp3's that total 1.8GB. When I copy those files to either card I can only put about 125 files (about 485mb). I get the this error: Cannot copy [file]: The directory or file cannot be created.

Just for the sake of testing, I made thousands of copies of a 1k file. All the files names were numbers (using a file renaming program) 0001.txt, 0002.txt, and so on. I was able to place over five thousand files in the root folder. Sometimes, though, I couldn't get more than 512 files.

I've tried formatting both in FAT and FAT32.

I contacted both companies and they both want to replace their card.

The odds of both cards being "bad" are slim, IMO.

The software that I have on the pda does not recognize subfolders so all the music files must be in the root folder.

Anyone have any idea what's going on, and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Paul

glider1217

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
I am having the same problem except with one of those digital picture frames. I have a SanDisk 2 GB SD Card containing 402 pictures in the root folder and some more in a subfolder (root is 1.1 GB subfolder has 57 pictures taking up 28.7 MB) There is about 750 MB worth of free space. I want to move the contents of the folder into the root as the frame does not recognize subfolders but get the same error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
FAT has a limit on the number of files you can have in the root, the ONLY way round it is to use folders; if you can't use folders you'll have to live with the limit.

steelers4life66

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I had the same problem with my digital picture frame. I have a SanDisk 2 GB SD Card. The message started at 258 photos. I reformatted the disk to a fat32 and got the rest of my photos to load. It's at 289 now. I don't know if I can fill the disk or not but I think the problem may be solved.

G

Thank you steelers4life66...I had the same problem and did as you said. I reformatted the disk to a fat32 and was able to load 501 photos/objects on my 2 GB ScanDisck. Thank you for helping me out! yay!

cmv_pogi101

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Thanks Brother,..