SD Card literally blocks any file related operation while inserted

devplugin

Commendable
Aug 21, 2018
I created a thread yesterday where I was asking if anybody knew any solutions on how I could back up data in order to then format the data on my SD card, but decided to just skip the backup and simply format it.

The problem: Mission impossible.

If I try to format it while plugged in my android phone, the phone will say it got formatted, but it'll still contain the same files afterwards, and I still don't have access to anything, cant rename, write, etc..

If I insert it on my PC, literally any file related operation gets blocked - I can't run chkdsk on any drive (No error messages, just nothing happening at all.), I can't open up the Disk Management Tools (It's trying to load all drives but nothing happens), I can't even rightclick on the card in the explorer (It'll just load forever)

The moment I take it out of the PC physically everything works again. On my PC that is, not the card.
Any ideas on how I can fix that?
Thanks!

Sounds like the SD card is bad. You can try wiping it with diskpart in command line instead of using disk management.

Run diskpart, type in "list disk" to see what disk number the SD Card is (assuming it's seen as a drive normally), do a "select disk x" command where x is the number of the SD Card, then type in "clear". That will wipe any partitions off the card. If the card is still usable, you should be able to then open disk manager and format it.

devplugin

Commendable
Aug 21, 2018

Thank you for your time.

Unfortunately, I can't even run diskpart.
As I said, plugging in the SD card somehow freezes ALL file related programs, commands, etc...

(In this case: I type diskpart, it shows the welcome message, but it does not get as far as showing the line where I can type the commands as it would if I hadn't plugged the SD in. It just... freezes.)

Then card is bad.