Question SD Card No Longer Showing Up in SD Card Slot on Laptop - How to fix?

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Hi everyone.

The SD card slot on my HP 14-DF0023CL laptop no longer seems to work, meaning when I insert an SD card into the SD card slot, the SD card doesn't show up on the screen as it used to.

I know the SD card is good because it shows up on the screen when I plug it into the laptop using an SD card to USB adapter dongle. The SD card also works perfectly fine.

How do I make it so that my SD card shows up when I plug it into the SD card slot as it's supposed to?

Thank you for any help you can provide with this issue.

P.S. I'm running Windows 10 Pro on the laptop if that helps.

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Have You Tested If The SD Card Works Correctly Using A Different PC?
Hi.

Yes, I tried it with a different laptop earlier today. The SD card worked fine in that other laptop's SD card slot. The issue seems to be with the HP 14-DF0023CL's SD card slot and/or the software that makes it work.

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
Test another known good sd card in that slot to confirm
Thank you for your replies. I think the SD card slot might still be good because I opened up Device Manager and the SD card appears to be listed as "USB Mass Storage Device". When I remove the SD card these words disappear in Device Manager and when I reinsert the card they reappear. So it seems that the SD card is still detected by Device Manager. Does that mean that the SD card reader is still good?

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
If the card slot is heavily used, then it's likely that the connections are trashed, or the storage controller for that card slot is dead; and saying as much assumes that the drivers for same are not corrupted.

You might stand-off by trying to reload only the driver for that feature.
I was able to get the SD card slot working again by updating the drivers for the SD card within Device Manager. The drivers downloaded and now the SD card works again when it's plugged into the SD card slot. I don't know why the SD card slot ever stopped working though. Maybe I updated Windows or downloaded some kind of program that made it stop working on a software level?

dekw04

Commendable
Oct 6, 2017
The Simplest Thing To Do Is To Buy A USB To SD Card Reader As The SD Reader Is Most Likely Broken.
Thank you for your response. Update: It turned out to be a software issue apparently. I plugged an SD card into the SD card slot, found the card within Device Manager, then I updated the drivers. The drivers downloaded and then my SD card showed up again in the SD card slot.