[SOLVED] SD Card reader causing PC issues...?

Nov 30, 2019
I recently bought the SD card reader linked below:
SD Card reader

I am using it on a custom built pc over the front usb 3.0 slot.

First time I used it there were no hiccups, imported photos into Lightroom just fine.
Second time, however, strange things happened.
I plugged it in but couldn't access the photos in the DCIM folder, it gave me an error message saying the device does not exist however the card still appeared in file explorer even after I tried to eject it.
Attempted to restart my computer but it got stuck on the restarting screen and I had to force shut down, no huge deal.
However when I booted up the device was gone so I gave it one more go.
This time it did the same thing except after taking out the card it said "insert a drive into [device name]"
Plugged the card back in, no dice.
Tried uninstalling the card reader from device manager, it got stuck so I decided to just shut down and call it a day.
Computer got stuck shutting down so I had to force shut down again, starting to worry me.
Didn't try again, so far no computer issues, seems as though the card reader was malicious or something. (It is now gone from device manager after the shutdown).
Planning on returning it and getting something more trustworthy but hoping you kind folks can give me some insight as to what went wrong.

Thanks!

Solution
connect it on the back of the pc, on a usb 2 or usb 3 port, see if things improve

if the problem persist, the card reader is faulty, or needs a driver that was not offered by the manufacturer

i do prefer card readers from kingston, anker or orico

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
connect it on the back of the pc, on a usb 2 or usb 3 port, see if things improve

if the problem persist, the card reader is faulty, or needs a driver that was not offered by the manufacturer

Solution
Nov 30, 2019

Thanks for the reply, real headache having to force shutdown my computer as I usually avoid doing so. Will probably go with an anker card reader since I've bought several great things from them in the past. Cheap = too good to be true sometimes.

Reactions: atljsf

TRENDING THREADS