SD Card Recovery

RedArmy49

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Hi,

My SD card randomly disappeared from my Samsung Galaxy S7, no idea why this happened. When I connected the SD card to the laptop it said it needed formatting. Have a lot of photos on there I need. Tried EaseUS, Wondershare, Testdisk etc with no luck after a deep scan. Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

Solution
The card has most likely failed. It's very common on flash memory for cards to fail without warning. It's probably now reporting 0 or -1 size which is why it can't read the partition table and is prompting to format. It's why backups exist.

There's nothing you can do DIY. If the data is life-or-death critical or you just have a lot of money, you might consider professional data recovery. However, given that it's almost certainly monolithic (nearly all micro SD cards are) there's only a handful of labs who really do those and you can expect to pay a few thousand $$$. The problem is that the memory and controller are all build into a single chip, so now it's a matter of layer by layer diasecting it and trying to figure out how to...

JaredDM

Honorable
The card has most likely failed. It's very common on flash memory for cards to fail without warning. It's probably now reporting 0 or -1 size which is why it can't read the partition table and is prompting to format. It's why backups exist.

There's nothing you can do DIY. If the data is life-or-death critical or you just have a lot of money, you might consider professional data recovery. However, given that it's almost certainly monolithic (nearly all micro SD cards are) there's only a handful of labs who really do those and you can expect to pay a few thousand $$$. The problem is that the memory and controller are all build into a single chip, so now it's a matter of layer by layer diasecting it and trying to figure out how to solder in alternate pathways to the flash memory under a microscope. It's not for the faint of heart.

Solution