SD Hard Drive Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

elra45

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
I have a Sony laptop (VGN TZ-191N) with a 25 GB solid state hard drive that has huge space issues. I am wondering if it is possible either to replace that SS HD with a larger one (in which case I need to mirror what is on it now to the new drive) or to add another SS HD within the case. I've looked on the Web and cannot find the answer.

NoAIm1337

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
I do not think that laptop has an additional bay for adding another hard-drive, therefor you would have to get a new, bigger, Ultra ATA interface SSD drive. For cloning purposes, there are a few popular free applications that may do the job, like Macrium Reflect Free, ShadowCopy, Clonezilla, and EaseUS Todo Backup Free. if you decide to use one of these you would need to get an enclosure for the new SSD so that you can plug it into your PC and allow the program to format the new drive and clone, then you should be able to swap it out.
Although the cloning process may be a little more confusing (but doable) you way just want to purchase the new drive, format and re-install the OS onto it. You can just back up what files you have on that PC to an external harddrive or USB stick.

elra45

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014

Thanks for the extensive answer..yes I believe you are correct...I'd have to replace the drive. I like the idea of using the SW to create the clone. If I cloned, then I could put it all back onto the new higher GB drive and have room (I hope!) to upgrade to Windows 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.