SDD vs. HDD (NEED HELP)

G

SDD or HDD?

I'm trying to decide on...

1. 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)

or

2.1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) ($130 cheaper)

I feel that i won't have enough space if i choose the SSD

All i really care about is the speed, not much of saving large files quickly, etc.

Is there really that much of a speed difference?

Thanks to all in advance for your input.

Solution
I have the corsair force GT and it is indeed very fast. But, you really should get a secondary drive as well because 120GB isn't much after you install the OS, AV, MS Office, etc. and a few games.

Saving to the secondary drive is as easy as saving to your primary drive. Basically, you will have your primary C drive, and your secondaries will be listed as D or E drives right under that in windows explorer.

One thing I have done recently to save space is instead of uninstalling games from my SSD that I don't play anymore, I just move the game files to my secondary HDD. Then if I want to play them again I just copy them over, which is faster than having to re-download everything again and reinstalling on Steam for example.
The SSD is about 50x faster in random i/o, and 2-3x faster in sequential i/o.
You can really tell the difference in everything you do.

If you can hold what you need on a single 120gb drive(about 110gb will be usable) then that is by far the best choice.
All will perform about the same in normal desktop usage.
Currently, Intel and Samsung seem to be the best.

If you need extra space, get a slower aux hard drive for storage and overflow.

G

Well should i just take my hard drive out of my dell inspiron 546 and throw it in this with my 120gb SSD when i buy it?

(http://www.digitalstormonline.com/loadconfig.asp (type in 604379))

I'm really killing myself on how much it is going to cost, and it'll take more time to make that extra $130. But you seem convincing about how fast it'll run, so i'm very unsure.

Joshatdot

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
SSDs are much MUCH faster at load speeds of Windows & games/apps. ATM I am holding out to get a 120~128 GB SSD for Windows & WoW .. and have a 1TB or better HDD for data storage.

I don't know what you linked to.

I assume you could install both drives in the same case.
Use the ssd for most things, and the old hard drive for overflow and storage.

G

The link was a computer setup i was planning on ordering in the future. and would it be a total pain in the ass to switch back and forth between what i use to save stuff? i've never really had the experience of two seperate drives. for instance, if i bought a game, i would install it on the ssd so it'd load faster? and i'd put the "never used but needed" things like all the stuff on the hard drive, or would it be easier to just say they'd act like a drive and a usb drive?

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I have the corsair force GT and it is indeed very fast. But, you really should get a secondary drive as well because 120GB isn't much after you install the OS, AV, MS Office, etc. and a few games.

Saving to the secondary drive is as easy as saving to your primary drive. Basically, you will have your primary C drive, and your secondaries will be listed as D or E drives right under that in windows explorer.

One thing I have done recently to save space is instead of uninstalling games from my SSD that I don't play anymore, I just move the game files to my secondary HDD. Then if I want to play them again I just copy them over, which is faster than having to re-download everything again and reinstalling on Steam for example.

Solution