Aposter

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
Potential stupid question incoming....

Alright, so I've read that a P4 teamed up with SDRAM is alot worse than a P4 teamed up with an equal amount of RDRAM...but what if you use like 1.5 gigs of SDRAM compared to like 256 or 512 megs of RDRAM?
I ask because I have a PIII with 512 megs of SDRAM and I could get away with upgrading to a PIV (socket 478) with an SDRAM board and keeping the PC-133 SDRAM I currently have (maybe buying another stick for $23)...just wondering which would perform better? Thanx in advance (staying away from AMD fyi)....

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dont buy a SDRAM bsed board. you will be stuck with SDRAM for the rest of your life, or until you pay more for a RDRAM board and sell your SDRAM P4 board off at measly price. you will be actually paying more than you'd pay right now if you get RDRAM right away. DDR is quite faar off.

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, here's a little lesson for you. The PIII 1000 is faster in most programs than the P4 1.4GHz with RDRAM. SDRAM is so disagreeable with the P4 that using it brings a 1.8GHz to 1.4GHz performance levels. So that means that the fastest available P4 2GHz, when paired with SDRAM, barely beets a PIII 1000 with the same memory!

Back to you Tom...