[SOLVED] Sea Sonic S12II-620 vs Corsair cx550 (grey)

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
A quick answer would suffice, however, I must explain why bother asking.

a. The Seasonic has multiple SATA power cables, whilst the Corsair has single cable with multiple connectors.
4-5 years back I lost two HDDs on consecutive days which were connected in a single sata power cable with multiple connectors (Seasonic), instead of using different power cable for the HDDs at once.
Idk, if a faulty cable was responsible or the frequent power outages. Never used the same cable again or used multiple HDDs on a single cable.
b. The Corsair has only one SATA power cable and naturally wouldn't feel comfortable using it for multiple HDDs while expensive and better build quality Seasonic PSU I have had probably failed on me.
c. So, I cannot use an HDD + SSD together with the Corsair, and obviously swapping regularly isn't good (never get a cheap psu , lesson learned).
d. FYI, the PC is connected with offline IPS, and there's frequent power loss.
e. Yes, the Corsair has latest important functions which Seasonic S12ii lacks, but while even just plugging in the connector tells how superior build quality it has.

Maybe I unnecessarily wrote all these wasting your time., but thanks if you went through it.
Do you think it is too much of a risk to use the Seasonic on a newer build?

Solution
my guess is the issue was a crappy psu lacking the needed protections and not the single sata power cable.

in a situation where you expect frequent power loss, the extra built in protections are VERY important. i'd go with the CX550 due to it being a newer design and it does have some extra protections that the seasonic lacks as you already know.

i have never had an issue with using a single sata cable to power multiple drives and currently have a single cable powering 3 drives in my current build. again, your problem was most likely an issue with a bad psu rather than the single cable it povided.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
my guess is the issue was a crappy psu lacking the needed protections and not the single sata power cable.

in a situation where you expect frequent power loss, the extra built in protections are VERY important. i'd go with the CX550 due to it being a newer design and it does have some extra protections that the seasonic lacks as you already know.

i have never had an issue with using a single sata cable to power multiple drives and currently have a single cable powering 3 drives in my current build. again, your problem was most likely an issue with a bad psu rather than the single cable it povided.

Reactions: Ainez
Solution

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
okay, thanks for the reassurance . Now, if it fails this time, i will look for you, i will find you and i will... never mind. Take care & Cheers!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
lol. been there myself where i had to take the advice of some random stranger on the web.

been doing this a long time and have never had an issue using multiple drives on one power cable. never even thought of it being a problem, nor heard of it being one. that is why i am confident saying it was a one of type problem and not a far reaching reason to avoid doing it in the future

and if you can find me, i'll buy you a beer for your troubles :)

Reactions: Ainez