Seagate 1 TB Hard Drive about to crash!!

pratjoehahn

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Problem:
I tried to transfer a file of about 1 GB across my network from my Seagate 1TB Internal but the computer showed Cyclic Redundancy Error :cry: . I had only encountered when I used CDs and DVDs a year back.It usually meant bad memory module which has to be replaced!
But (and that's a big but) replace the CDs with a 1 TB Seagate HD Internal which has 697GB worth of data and what you have is an utter fiasco (for ur pocket and brain and time)!!

Steps that I took:
First off Googled it.Found that I need to replace the hard disk :eek: :heink: :cry: :cry: :pt1cable: :cry: :ouch: :cry: :ouch: :eek: :ouch: :(
Second went to My Computer and did a right click on the said drive and started a error checking process.....3 hrs later I can transfer the data successfully.
But lets face it my data is facing oblivion unless I back it up.

What I want:
>any other options i have??? :??:
>is to know which is better on terms of reliability - Seagate or Western Digital, Internal or External*??
>1TB or 500 GB??
> a performance chart of hard drives if possible??

My sys config:
Pentium Dual Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60 GHz
1 GB of RAM
XP Professional SP2
ASUS P5 KPLAM/PS
Harddrives (internal)> WD caviar blue 160GB, Seagate 1TB

Any more of help is really appreciated!!! And thank u very very much.And try to make this ASAP. Thanks again...

-Pratjoehahn

I like to keep my backups and documents on external drives, internal for everything else. As for WD or seagate, I think most manufacturers are going through a rash of bad drives lately, but I prefer to stick with WD.

pratjoehahn

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Most of the people tell me 1TB hard drives fail faster.Is it true??
As for the hard drive,its covered under warranty but no good cause its Seagate.But the problem is I have to keep the data somewhere and I dont have any more memory modules with me.So I think I will buy an External 1 TB or 2 TB from WD.

Thanks Hawkeye....

-Pratjoehahn

CKLayoka

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Personally, I really like the Western Digital Caviar Black series. They're rated the highest HDD's on Newegg, have 5-year guarantees, high-density platters, large caches, and reliability. In fact, I heard about them on this very forum. I now own 6 of them - 4 of the 640gb and 2 of the 1TB - and have been nothing but satisfied.

But here's the catch - they're sold as internal bares. Now, if you have the basic technical skills required to do an internal install, I'd buy one right now and use it as an internal backup drive. Internal backups have both pros and cons.
Pros:
- Safe, secure, and better cooling inside the chassis
- No concerns of accidental bumping, cord yanking, or power surges
Cons:
- Not easily portable
- Not "disconnect-able" (if you wanted to turn it off or disconnect it in the event of a security scare like an aggressive trojan or virus, you'd have to get inside your computer)

I use both internal and external drives for backup, and have had no problems with either. That being said, you CAN use these internal drives as externals, you just need to buy an external enclosure, which could be ~$20 more than buying a regular external drive, depending on your pick of parts.

The choice is yours, but I have two of these assembled on my desk a foot away right now, and they work perfect (although they do get a bit hot!):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182180&cm_re=rosewell_esata_enclosure-_-17-182-180-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284&cm_re=caviar_black_1tb-_-22-136-284-_-Product
Assembly takes 1 screwdriver and 2 minutes, and all cables and accessories are included.

CKLayoka

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Looking at the performance charts Hawkeye22 linked to (desktop internal HDDs), you'll see that the caviar blacks rank quite well. Above them lie raptors (10000 rpm) and similarly expensive performance drives - you don't need extreme performance if you just want a strong backup. Caviar Blacks would definitely do the job for you.

pratjoehahn

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks mate really appreciate it.......but.....dear bloody Seagate has a software named seatools which can test the Seagate Drive and run a diagnostic. But it tells to empty the drive before running it ....and I have to do that coz otherwise seagate wont accept the drives for Warranty. :(

So heres my next Question...:
If I have a CRC error can it mean that something other than the hard drive might be causing the prob??

Heres what I am going to do anyway:

>I have a computer with the following config -

ASUS P5 KPLAM/PS,1 GB DDR2, Core Duo processor which has been lying in room for 1 year.
I will try to run FreeNAS on that and give it 2 WD caviar black 1 TB HDDs with RAID1 config ..... If I can :) I still think its a overkill for a NAS though... I got the idea from here http://aaroneiche.com/2009/03/31/my-diy-nas/

And yeah Seagate from now on is a strict NO-NO for me

Somalion

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
The only advice I can offer is to go to Seagates website and download the Seatools application and the Seatools for DOS (you'll have to burn that one and boot from the CD you create. It only works with SATA and ATA) Both of my hard drives are Seagate, fairly old at this point but surprisingly in great shape. I ran The seatools scans which found an error so I created a boot CD from the seatools for DOS file. Booted it up and ran a long scan on my seagate drive with the error. It found the bad sector and at the end gave me an option to repair it. It worked and all is fine and dandy. You definitely sound a lot more computer literate than I am but its worth a look. If none of this is applicable then kindly ignore my ramblings :p

pratjoehahn

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

Ha Ha! Somalion you are an youngster and humble, you will do good mate,you will!! All the knowledge up there is coz of google. I use it like....say for this problem I googled "My hardrive is showing me Cyclic Redundancy Check errors"....and for previous problems I have directly googled my queries......and have usually got the answers (its a huge world out and some1 ought to have the same problem as me!!)

And since you have already ran seatools I would like to ask - I need to keep my data at some place safe before I run that thing right??
and while I was hoping to get more HDDs .....voila I found an 80GB Seagate Baracudda 7200 RPM HDD (old is gold sometimes!!) but i still have to see if it works. It aint huge but still a worthwhile find. And guess what I found that its warranty expires this November .....so if its bad I can get a new one Yipeee!!

Somalion

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Haha thank you! Ah I don't feel so far behind now so! Yep with Seatools its good to have your stuff backed up because it might find a problem sector that has some of your data in it. If that's the case it will delete it when its repairing it. That's not a bad find I reckon! And sure if its got a warranty then you're sorted!!