Seagate 1 TB Slim External Hard drive is not reading

May 20, 2018
So in the middle of a file transfer the USB cord got disconnected by accident. I plugged it back in to see if it was okay and it sort of was. It then crashed and froze windows explorer until I unplugged it. Right clicking or left clicking on the drive just crashes windows explorer. I can see that it's connected, I just can't access it.

Tried chkdsk once and after a few hours it said that the disk was RAW. In Seatools, I get two versions of the drive, one under SAS-SCSI-FC and another under USB-1394. Tried the long generic test for the SAS one and it says failed but it doesnt give an error code. The USB-1394 one just gives an stxcon.exe has stopped working. The indicator light on the drive does a breathing effect. When I unplug the drive it gets "detected" by the system. Also tried the drive on other systems with the same effect. Even tried to swap the cord but it still does the same thing.

Solution
It would appear that you have corrupted the disk by pulling the cable out while an IO was in progress.

Do you have any data on the disk that needs saving? If not then repartition and reformat.

You can try looking at the disk using diskpart.exe from the command line. This will allow you to repartition your disk and then reformat.

You may want to try cloning the disk or taking a disk image copy using clonezilla before you reformat.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
It would appear that you have corrupted the disk by pulling the cable out while an IO was in progress.

Do you have any data on the disk that needs saving? If not then repartition and reformat.

You can try looking at the disk using diskpart.exe from the command line. This will allow you to repartition your disk and then reformat.

You may want to try cloning the disk or taking a disk image copy using clonezilla before you reformat.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS