Seagate 1tb External Hard Drive Issue

krannix

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
I am sorry if this has been asked before, but the symptoms don't sound exactly like mine in any post (or at least that I could find). I have a 1tb Seagate External HD. When I plug the usb into my computer I hear a whirring/beeping sound for about 3 seconds, then it's quiet. The light also goes on. My computer also makes the usb active chime sound. The light then begins to flicker and after about 20 seconds it goes off and my computer makes the usb disconnected sound. Any ideas what this could be? I have tried different cables and usb ports (even on another computer) all with the same results. Should I take it in to a place to retrieve the data? I have little experience with computers and hesitate opening the drive. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Hey there, krannix.

Unfortunately it sounds like either the enclosure might be having an issue or the drive itself. You did well by trying the drive out with different USB cables and computers, in order to confirm that it's not an issue with the system you've been using. As for the data, the best and most reliable solution would always be a data recovery company and in cases where the drive can't stay powered up, sometimes it might be the only solution.

Taking a drive out of its enclosure to connect it directly via a SATA connection or a different enclosure/SATA to USB adapter/docking station might sound tempting and work in some cases, but that's only if the culprit of the problem is the enclosure itself. You take a few chances by...
Hey there, krannix.

Unfortunately it sounds like either the enclosure might be having an issue or the drive itself. You did well by trying the drive out with different USB cables and computers, in order to confirm that it's not an issue with the system you've been using. As for the data, the best and most reliable solution would always be a data recovery company and in cases where the drive can't stay powered up, sometimes it might be the only solution.

Taking a drive out of its enclosure to connect it directly via a SATA connection or a different enclosure/SATA to USB adapter/docking station might sound tempting and work in some cases, but that's only if the culprit of the problem is the enclosure itself. You take a few chances by removing an external drive's enclosure - you might damage the HDD; it could have a proprietary connector, which would mean that you won't be able to connect it to a computer without its enclosure; if it has hardware encryption, you might not be able to get to your files without its original enclosure and last, but not least - you most definitely would void its warranty.

So it's basically up to you to decide which way you want to go. Either way, I hope you are able get your files back.
Boogieman_WD

Solution