Seagate 1tb slim external hard drive not working on windows 10

Ejam4

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
I just upgraded to windows 10 and I like playing steam so I have an external hard drive for my steam games and it works amazing and doesn't lag at all and the Seagate hard drive would always be available to open in "my pc" tab when I had windows 8. Now after I upgraded to Windows 10 the seagate external hardrive isn't showing up in my 'my pc" and it is making me extremely mad because I don't have enough storage space on my acer computer to play any of my steam games so until I fix this I wont be able to play my games. I went into disk Management and the Seagate shows up as Disk 1 but now it says that its unallocated and I have no idea what that means so if someone can help me I will be very grateful thank you.

Hey there, Ejam4!

I'd recommend you to try the external on a different computer and see if it will get recognized properly there.
I'm afraid that if it appears as unallocated, you might have corrupted the file system somehow after the Windows 10 upgrade. Did you unplug the external from the system when you were performing this upgrade?
Another thing you could try is uninstalling the external from Device Manager and re-install it after you reboot the system. ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725782.aspx )

I'd also advise you to test the external HDD's health and SMART status using your manufacturer's diagnostic tool. You should be able to find it on their website, it will help you determine if there's anything wrong with it really.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
I have seen this with many external drives on windows 10.
Try:
Opening up Disk Management. The drive will be listed, but no have a Drive Letter assigned to it.
Try clicking on it and selecting Assign Drive Letter. That should take care of it.
Good luck.