Oct 29, 2020
After 1 month of usage, I suddenly noticed some of my apps that were installed in my HDD their icons were changed to a paper/note. I tried troubleshooting it and I found that in my Disk Management my HDD went from 1 TB to 3.86 unallocated. I tried reallocating it and it says: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". Take note that I have scanned my HDD and it is still S.M.A.R.T capable, I have also checked if my PC still detects it through Device Manager and it is still detected. What is the problem and what caused my HDD to be 3.86GB unallocated? Is there a fix or is it dead?

Solution
The 3.86GB capacity is a symptom of internal problems, ie bad heads or media. The HDD is unable to read the firmware stored on the platters and reports the dummy ID stored in the "ROM" on the PCB.
Oct 29, 2020
+ when I try to open apps installed in my HDD it says: "Problem with Shortcut: The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'app' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network source is available, and then try again." (HDD detected by Device Manager)

+in MiniTool partition wizard it indicated that my HDD (Seagate 1TB) is a Bad Disk.

PHOTOS FOR CONTEXT:

View: https://imgur.com/a/LnisNfi

Oct 29, 2020
The 3.86GB capacity is a symptom of internal problems, ie bad heads or media. The HDD is unable to read the firmware stored on the platters and reports the dummy ID stored in the "ROM" on the PCB.
Sorry but I'm still a newbie at computer hardware, so this means that even if I replace/replug the cable connecting the HDD to the motherboard nothing will happen since this is a firmware/internal problem?

TRENDING THREADS