shawnwilliams89

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
So a friend of mine's Dell Studio laptop has been continuously plagued with errors, which for the most part have been caused by the operator. This time around the laptop is hanging on boot at the Windows loading portion of Windows 7. Of course this little drive has thousands of priceless photos that she can't part with so I figured this would be a simple swap into my PC and pull the photos, then reformat the drive operation. Unfortunately that has proved not to be the case.

The computer I am using is custom built, with 6 internal hard drives and 1 external, and all work flawlessly. I removed the SATA connectors from one working CD/DVD burner and plugged those into the laptop HDD. Upon boot the drive is recognized as the G: drive, is in NTFS format, and shows the capacity of the drive and everything. Once I try to access the drive, or change ownership permissions, any operations will fail and the drive will disappear.

I am hoping that the drive is not defective as the laptop is no longer covered by warranty, and did not come with any Windows disks to install onto a new drive. Is there anything I am missing here? Also the drive does not appear in the device manager once it disappears.

Thanks for any help.

rough21

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
ok i'm not sure what's going on with the drive, but i have a solution which should let you keep any data you need, if you have a copy of windows preferably win7 cause i know this works well using win7. use the disk or flash drive however your copy is, enter bios boot from that drive & install win7 it will create a folder on a hd called windows old with all existing data still intact... this most likely will repair the prob & let you retrieve the needed data after your data is removed you should delete anything not need in that folder
hope this helps