[SOLVED] Seagate 2TB Backup Plus Portable Drive

Jan 21, 2019
I have had my drive for about 2 years or so. It has been working fine - I went to plug it into my laptop this weekend and it didn't show up. The corner light is lit up and I can hear it working but My Computer is not reading it. I checked in Settings > Devices > Attached Devices and I can see it there no problem.

I also checked Disk Device Properties and it comes up. When I check volumes though it says Type Unknown Capactiy 0MB. Not sure why it is not coming up.

If I check My Computer it comes up as Drive E but when I try to click it or even right-click it freezes My Computer and stops responding.

I would like the data back BUT it is not the most important - If there is a way I can reset and reformat the whole drive and start fresh that is ok too. I have been googling all weekend to try to come up with the issue but everything I have found has led me nowhere. Please help!

I should also mention I have tried this on 2 different computers as well as plugging it into my TV and I get the same results.

Solution

nikoskostantopoulow

Upstanding
Jan 3, 2019
My old OCZ SSD (Vertex 2) used to softbrick periodically.
It has a green led light on the back that when it softbricks it turns red.
From the internet i found info and i can confirm it's true that that drive randomly softbricks when windows put it to sleep.
Windows cannot see or read the drive but from Linux i could retrieve my data and unbrick it by formating it(light turned green again).
I am not a Linux lover but i'd give it a shoot if something similar happens to any drive of my mine again.