Seagate 2Tb detected but cannot be read

Jun 9, 2018
My external hard disk seagate 2tb was working well before but suddenly couple days ago when i plug in into my laptop asus window 10, the hard disk is on i can hear the fan inside it functioning. Below it showed up that a usb was plug in so the laptop detected the had disk buat it wont come up like usual the folder of the hard disk. When i open the my computer it just show up picture of hard disk with the name local hard disk:H, usually it suppose to show up Seagate something and show the volume on the hard disk but it wont come up. And when i doubled click it, it wont show up,and it say the hard disk cannot be access

Jun 9, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from arafifuddin : "Seagate 2Tb detected but cannot be read"

My external hard disk seagate 2tb was working well before but suddenly couple days ago when i plug in into my laptop asus window 10, the hard disk is on i can hear the fan inside it functioning. Below it showed up that a usb was plug in so the laptop detected the had disk buat it wont come up like usual the folder of the hard disk. When i open the my computer it just show up picture of hard disk with the name local hard disk:H, usually it suppose to show up Seagate something and show the volume on the hard disk but it wont come up. And when i doubled click it, it wont show up,and it say the hard disk cannot be access

Jun 9, 2018
But how to know the original drive letter? When i plugged in the ext hard disk it come out said that "H:\is not accessible. The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error."

Jun 9, 2018
What means by the hdd failed? It is not damage yet right? I had follow some steps from Google which to change the drive letter through disk manager but nothing happened, i also tried to update the usb driver.. what should i do actually.. do u know how? Pls help me

May 17, 2018
An HDD failing is basically when your HDD stops working, and you can't do much about it when it does fail. Run Seatools to check the health of the drive https://www.seagate.com/support/by-topic/downloads/ . If your warranty is still valid (you can verify here http://support.seagate.com/customer/en-US/warranty_validation.jsp ), you can request an RMA and there's a chance they can send you a new drive. Of course, this comes at a cost of losing files, which again you can't do much about. There could be some programs that have the ability to recover files from failed drives, but I don't know any. Good luck!

Hello arafifuddin, sorry to see you have run into trouble with your drive. Were you able to run Seatools or contact support? It is always a good idea to have a good back up plan in place.

The conventional wisdom by tech experts on backups is known as the 3-2-1 method.

Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example)
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.