SeaGate 2tb unusable on windows clean install.

somesh101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2015
Before anyone starts to criticize me please know this.
and thanx in advance :D

I know i should get a SSD.
but this system isn't my main system and does not get used much now.
I don't know what is the problem here.
apart from that windows sucks.
and it is seagate 2000 gb 7200rpm barracuda disk. about 5 year old now.
i have noticed this several times but today it was unbearable. I installed a fresh windows on 190 gb partition after struggling with updates and drivers for whole day i am still getting 100% disk usage and these are crystal benchmark.
for C: while running the system from same diffrent drive
IMG-20181015-201953.jpg

when running the system from same drive.
IMG-20181015-194309.jpg

Have you opened Resource Monitor to see the IO activity of different processes?

Also take a look at the Memory tab to make sure you have plenty of Free or Standby RAM. If all or almost all RAM is in use. Performance will suffer and cause high disk activity.

Why are you running Windows on a 190GB partition? Where are the sectors for that partition located? Do you know? You don't know.

That partition could be closer or further from the outer or inner edges of the drive platter than the other drive you are comparing it to which would have a direct and significant impact on the performance of that partition.

Windows should not be installed on a PORTION of a drive, it should be installed ON the drive, period.

When installing Windows you should ALWAYS choose the "Custom" option, delete ALL existing partitions on that drive and then click on the unallocated space and click "Next". Windows will create ALL necessary partitions and perform ANY necessary formatting, automatically.

If you have done what you have done because you are using some portion of the drive for other storage partitions, then you need to move that data OFF the drive onto other storage, and then reinstall as I've explained above. ANY other method is not going to net you the desired results, or even results that are consistent from case to case.

If this is Windows 10, it should be done EXACTLY as outlined here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

For Windows 7:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

For Windows 8.1:

https://www.eightforums.com/threads/clean-install-windows-8.2299/

somesh101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2015

forgot this image
IMG-20181015-142748.jpg

somesh101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2015

It is on the drive. and it's the first partition on the drive and my 2nd disk is laptop disk which has it's own programs.
the reason i have the laptop disk in a system just because it will collect dust on self if not here.
about the sector i have 500 mb unallocated the 190 gb partition then other partitons.
i haven't tried installing windows on entire disk but i am sure it will create two partitons as follows 100-500 mb system info rest is just c driive.

Instead of Task Manager open Resource Monitor for an more in depth view. Maximize the window and click on the Disk tab. Then take a picture or screenshot without cutting out the names of the processes.

Resource Monitor: open the start menu and type "resource monitor".

When you installed Windows on the drive, did you use the Custom option during the installation, delete ALL existing partitions on the drive and then install Windows on the unpartitioned, unallocated space?

If not, I would advise that doing so is a really good place to start. I realize that Windows will create several partitions during the installation process. That is normal. You do NOT however want there to be existing partitions on the drive when you begin the installation process and you certainly don't want to install to any existing partition. Install to a bare drive with no partitions that is unformatted.

Also, make sure NO other drives are connected to the system before you begin the installation process. This is essential to a proper installation that doesn't result in an EFI boot partition mistakenly being created on another drive which can, and does, happen, when more than one drive is attached during the install.

somesh101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2015

So you are saying i should let windows do this on 2 tb drive
partiton 1 600mb recovery
partiton 2 100 mb system
partiton 3 100 mb boot info
partion 4 1995 GB C: drive
not considering the data lost on the entire drive.
and the data lost on next format because you will need to format at least c drive.

You don't format anything when installing the OS. You install to unpartitioned, unformatted space. There should not be ANY partitions on the drive once you click "Next" to begin the actual installation. During the "Custom" process, it will allow you to select and delete all the existing partitions, and you should do that and then click on the unallocated space which should consist of the entire drives free space not hardware reserved and then click Next.

You do NOT create a C: partition. Windows will do that automatically, as well as automatically creating all other necessary partitions such as the EFI partition, boot partition, recovery partition, etc.

If there is other, non-OS data on the drive, you should move it someplace else, at least until after the installation.

Yes, I am saying you should do exactly as outlined in the Clean Install tutorials. That is THE correct way to install Windows.