• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Seagate 3tb hdd "Not initialized"

zayed builder

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I have a problem with a seagate 3tb HDD from an old computer and it was not working so i tried on my pc "Replacing it in place on my hdd cables(so cables are 100% working)" and it gives me the same error "a device which does not exist was specified". Sometimes i would start the windows and its not showing in disk partition or in the mobo. And something very weird happens is that when i connect the HDD the computer boots significantly slower even its booting from an ssd which the computer can operate normaly without the hdd there but i want to get it working.

Here are screenshots of " INFO&ERRORS" :
https://prnt.sc/thzfc9
https://prnt.sc/thzi8r
---------------------------------------------------------
I tried searching for answers online but i couldnt find anything """"""""ALSO MY PC IS NEW SO NO PROBLEMS WITH TYPE OF PARTITIONS OR 2TB+ STORAGE.

Apr 28, 2020
Whenever there is a “disk unknown not initialized” issue occurs, your hard drive may show unallocated space in Disk Management, and the data on which will be inaccessible or else there is another situation: there is no disk space shown in Disk Management.

There are a few possible reasons behind hard disk not initialized listed below. You can find out the real cause based on your own situation.

1. File system corruption.
  2. Virus infection.
  3. Bad blocks and sectors.
  4. MBR damage.
  5. Connection problem.
You can give a try to below mentioned 2 different methods to resolve the issue:

Method 1. Use Disk Management to fix not initialized error on a hard drive

1. Connect the uninitialized hard drive to your PC.
  2. Press Win + R keys, type: diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
  3. Find the uninitialized, unknown external hard drive with I/O device error > Right-click on it and select Initialize Disk.
  4. Then set the disk to initialize and set disk as MBR or GPT.
After this, you may reboot your PC and keep all changes. Now, your external hard drive will be recognized and read by Windows again.

Method 2. Run CMD to repair I/O device error on not initialized hard drive

This CMD command would erase all data on the uninitialized hard drive, which you can later restore after repairing the hard drive not initialized, with the help of any data recovery or partition recovery software:

1. Press Win+R > Type: diskpart and hit Enter.
  2. Type: list disk and hit Enter.
  3. Type: select disk F and hit Enter; (replace F with the drive letter of an uninitialized hard drive).
  4. Type: clean and hit Enter.
  5. Type: convert gpt or convert mbr and hit Enter.
  6. Type: create partition primary and hit Enter.
  7. Type: format quick fs=ntfs and hit Enter.
  8. Type: assign and hit Enter.
  9. Type: exit and hit Enter.
Hope it will help you.

zayed builder

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
thanks i already tried the 2 methods and they dont work '' The second method doesnt work because the hdd doesnt appear the list disk command as its shown the screenshot attached in the thread + it does show me the space on the hdd

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Whenever there is a “disk unknown not initialized” issue occurs, ....
If you're going to quote some other resource word for word, it is customary to give credit to that source.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-a-hard-drive-external-hard-drive-or-USB-flash-drive-become-unallocated

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS