[SOLVED] Seagate 5TB drive question.

William133

BANNED
Oct 5, 2019
I'm thinking of upgrading the drive in my laptop for more space. I did some research and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Seagate 2.5" 5TB BarraCuda drives. Also how is their speed comperd to SSD and other high end HD drives. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
My priority is more on size, any recommendations for other high capacity drives at a decent price?
Prices wary quite a lot with location, seller, sales etc. Most models and makes are too close to call in speed, performance and reliability .
As you are in all likelyhood not use most of 5TB for programs but for data. other possibilities are to get an 240-250GB SSD as main OS drive and use 5TB drive as external using USB (preferably USB 3) or if your laptop has optical drive to get a tray for HDD,in which case speed will not be affected.
I'm thinking of upgrading the drive in my laptop for more space. I did some research and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Seagate 2.5" 5TB BarraCuda drives. Also how is their speed comperd to SSD and other high end HD drives. Any help is greatly appreciated.
There's no comparison with SSD no matter which HDD. 2.5" HDDs are inherently slower than 3.5" drives anyway so counting on their speed is not realistic. Practically all 2.5" HDDs are very close in speed, nothing you could notice-

John553

BANNED
Oct 5, 2019
I have one and I've never had a problem with it. Their speed is fine for an HD drive but as CountMike said above it will never be able to compete with SSD. For things that don't need the extra speed I generally prefer to use the HD for their longevity though. Also you can usually find the HD in lager sizes than the SSD.

My priority is more on size, any recommendations for other high capacity drives at a decent price?
Prices wary quite a lot with location, seller, sales etc. Most models and makes are too close to call in speed, performance and reliability .
As you are in all likelyhood not use most of 5TB for programs but for data. other possibilities are to get an 240-250GB SSD as main OS drive and use 5TB drive as external using USB (preferably USB 3) or if your laptop has optical drive to get a tray for HDD,in which case speed will not be affected.

Solution