• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Seagate 6Tb HDD USB drive (ST6000DM001) not recognised by another Win 7, Win 8.1 installation

JLupic

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
I just installed the drive using my main Win 7 boot drive. It required GUID type partition. I used Seagate Disk Wizard to do this.

Now, when I boot into another Win 7 drive, my 6Tb drive shows up as unallocated. I also tested the drive with Win 8.1 and get the same result. This would mean that I would have to reformat the drive with data as GUID for EACH separate Windows configuration.

Is there any way to avoid this?

JLupic

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015

Hi,

Thank you for your help. I used GPT and was able to format the drive as a single 6Tb partition. It's accessible directly by Win 7 and 8.1.

Note for the folks who attempt to put this drive into a USB enclosure. Please be aware that most USB cases support up to maximum of 4Tb drive. I used Vantec 3.5” NexStar 6G case that supports up to 8Tb drives (confirmed by their Tech Support). On Vantec site, the conflicting docs list it as 4 & 6Tb USB 3 box. Vantec box has an on/off switch and front disk activity light and will readily eject from the system.

Yes, my Seagate 6Tb HDD does run hot in the Vantec box but the I only use the drive for image backups. My main concern is with HDD reliability as reported in: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/. I will run HD Tune in a few days to see how good the drive is.

In any case, I don't run the drive 24/7.