Seagate and Western Digital Reliability

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which hard drive brand do you think is more reliable for the money?

• Western Digital

Votes: 30 40.0%
  • Seagate

Votes: 40 53.3%
  • Samsung

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Fujitsu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HITACHI

• Maxtor

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • IBM

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Hewlett-Packard

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pratjoehahn

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
I had a 80 GB Seagate Barracuda around 4 years ago.Well IT CRASHED!!I'm in luck though because it is still under warranty so I am gonna replace it soon.
Within that time I have used 7 WD 160GB Caviar Blue HDDs.THEY NEVER CRASHED!!
ANd not even a year ago I brought a Seagate Baracudda 1 TB and its been giving me CRC errors, so its about to crash!! Yesterday I got a WD Elements SE portable and it is not detected on my Win XP computer.It is detected on my Win 7 though.Dunno Why??
I would choose WD over Seagate cause it doesn't matter whether the company gives u a 5 year warranty or not, pricey or not, all that matters is YOUR DATA STAYS SAFE.And I am more at ease with WD

netguru2000

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I've gone through two Western Digital replacement hard drives in less than two years and this morning the third one started acting up. I don't recommend WD.

wag123

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
I have been building computers since the late 1980s, many hundreds of them, and I have used hard drives from every manufacturer. Without any doubt the Maxtor drives were the worst, by far! In every computer that I used them, and there were a LOT of them, every single one of them failed within a 2-3 year time frame. I used to use a lot of Seagates and they were excellent drives with very few failures but I now refuse to buy another Seagate since they bought out Maxtor. I have no desire to purchase a re-badged Maxtor. I used to use quite a few IBMs and they were also very reliable until the 20gb to 40gb "Deathstar" problems, they were excellent before and have been fine since. I have several old 80gb IBMs in a RAID that are still going strong! I am now using quite a few Hitachis (formerly IBM) and haven't had a failure yet (knock on wood). My number one choice over the years has been WD. I have only experienced a couple of failures and these were drives with a lot of hours on them. IMHO they make the best drives. I have had so-so luck with Samsungs, not horrible like the Maxtors and not excellent like the WDs and older Seagates. With Samsung having sold their hard drive business to Seagate, there are now only 3 choices left. My current preferences are for WD first and Hitachi second. Forget Seagate, I won't buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS