Seagate Announces 14TB Barracuda Pro, IronWolf, And IronWolf Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Oops, the power of a single capital letter :) Thanks, fixed.

Icepilot

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
"replacing the air inside the hard drive with helium" - Helium is notoriously hard to contain. Is it still helium after 2-3 years?

PaulAlcorn

Editor
Feb 24, 2015

The hermetic sealing is the real secret sauce to the design. They use laser welding, and the helium-ness is guaranteed for the duration of the warranty.

PaulAlcorn

Editor
Feb 24, 2015

Emmit Smith? He is no Kareem Hunt :p

Tanyac

Reputable
$530 for the Iron wolf will end up translating to around $815 AUD. That's $57/TB. Currently the 8TB drives I can get for $37/TB... Think I'll wait and see if this drive ever becomes competitively priced.

They should skip lasers for now and just convert to using a 5 1/4" drive case. Put 2 x 3.5" drive platters with spindles in a single 5 1/4" drive that is a bit longer. More room for the read/write arms and remove the need for 3.5" drive spec for PC cases. Basically then a single HD could house 28TB's tomorrow. convert all those 3.5" bays to be 2.5" for SSD in future PC cases.

Sep 20, 2018
16TB breached already half a year ago so why is this news when Seagate are too slow to get their 16TB out now?

https://www.win-raid.com/t3548f45-The-XP-Yeager-Project-TB-Breaking-the-TB-Capacity-Barrier.html

I agree they should create a special 5 1/4" hard drive model. The jump from storage capacity from 3.5" should be more than double or triple the capacity. Should easily hit 35TB to 40TB capacity with ease. I could house 2 Full Height 5 1/4" Hard Drives in my ATX chassis.

MFM Hard drives started in the 5 1/4" form factor since the IBM PC was introduced. No reason why modern technology couldn't revisit this. I would love to put this drive into my old XT to power it with a molex to sata adapter then run the SATA cable to my Z370.

Hopefully the hard drive sounds when it's on will not be as loud as they were back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.