[SOLVED] Seagate backup drive.

William133

BANNED
Oct 5, 2019
I'm doing a series of upgrades for my business and among them is improving my backup strategy. I'm thinking of getting two or possibly three of these Seagate 5TB drives and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them, are they good drives or are there better drives I should get? My plan is to encrypt them, keep each drive in a separate location and update them every week or two. Does this sound like a good method to everyone here on TH or are there other measures I should take.

Solution
Ideally, 3-2-1.
3 different copies, on 2 different types, at least 1 offsite.

If you buy 2 or 3 of the same make/model/size drive...and that particular model has an issue...your plan is shot.
This has happened.

So mix it up. Seagate/WD/Toshiba.

My personal situation:
All systems and drives backup up nightly to my NAS box.
Then the whole NAS box weekly to another store, in the house.
Then the offsite gets updated once a month or so.

Macrium Reflect makes this easy. All automated on a schedule.

USAFRet

Titan
Ideally, 3-2-1.
3 different copies, on 2 different types, at least 1 offsite.

If you buy 2 or 3 of the same make/model/size drive...and that particular model has an issue...your plan is shot.
This has happened.

So mix it up. Seagate/WD/Toshiba.

My personal situation:
All systems and drives backup up nightly to my NAS box.
Then the whole NAS box weekly to another store, in the house.
Then the offsite gets updated once a month or so.

Macrium Reflect makes this easy. All automated on a schedule.

Reactions: William133
Solution

popatim

Titan
Definitely make sure you can recover as expected. I know several companies that thought they were doing backups but weren't or they never tested the recovery and found out too late that what they had wasn't enough or didn't work.

Last piece, IMO, is to add automated log monitoring. If one of my backups fail, I get a text message on my phone. Ditto if one of my drives gets a smart error in any of the critical area's.

Reactions: William133