seagate backup plus not powering up

camillosandro

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Hi I have a seagate backup plus which I have used successfully for 3 years without problems. Now its almost full with all my original photos....Recently it started disconnecting suddenly, i changed the cable connection to my mac and it worked for a few more months. now it's not powering up anymore.. i checked the transformer with a tester and i'm getting 12.3 V .. what else can i do? Someone said change the fuse... there are no signs of fuse on the external.. guessing it might be inside. What are your suggestions? thanks

Solution
Thats ok about not installing it internally, you can use another external enclosure.

With the make and model# of the drive one can usually find a disassembly video on youtube. Be warned that some manufacturers have removed the sata port on the drive in lieu of a usb port so you may not even be able to reinstall the drive in another enclosure.

Which drive do you have?

popatim

Titan
I'm sorry no one ever told you that it was dangerous only have 1 copy of irreplaceable files.
Do you have a desktop pc or mac to work with this drive? You may need to remove it from the housing and install it internally and see if you can get to your files. I suggest you have a place to copy them all to already setup when you do this so you may need to purchase yet another drive. Once you get your files, I suggest you make a backup of them asap before you find yourself in the same boat again.

camillosandro

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

camillosandro

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Thanks mate! i'm not such an expert to open a Mac and install it internally as you say, yet alone remove the housing from the external drive... i dont see any screws on the HD either.

popatim

Titan
Thats ok about not installing it internally, you can use another external enclosure.

With the make and model# of the drive one can usually find a disassembly video on youtube. Be warned that some manufacturers have removed the sata port on the drive in lieu of a usb port so you may not even be able to reinstall the drive in another enclosure.

Which drive do you have?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS