Seagate barracuda 1tb supports sata 6gb/s?

mercuryman24

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I'm going to buy a motherboard with sata 6gb/s support. So I was also going to buy the above hard drive. Does this hard drive support 6gb/s? or do I have to change it? :)

Solution
Any SATA drive will work with any SATA connection, barring some very rare firmware/BIOS issues which will probably come up .001% of the time.

mercuryman24

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011

THANKS A LOT :) I was waiting for that only :)

jcoleman

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Just wondering if it goes the other way, just bought a new MB that supports 3gb/s hard drives, I had a 6gb/s hard drive around and the MB hangs during boot using it (6gb/s). The SATA ports seem ok as they recongnize the CDROM and the MB booted up fine with a 1.5gb/s drive that had an OS on it I pulled from another computer.

Hadn't built a new system for awhile and just figured the drives would be OK. The drive was originally purchased for an external enclosure for backups and a quick grab in case of an emergency. Worked OK with an older computer but it was using USB for the interface.

mercuryman24

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I think I chose the wrong answer. Sata 3gb/s hard drives does not support 6gb/s.
HDD are not for SATA 6gb/s, only SSD will have improvement when connected.

its better to go with Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB :)

Are you talking about improved speeds or "working"? Even an SSD will not need a 6gb SATA.

mercuryman24

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011

I'm talking about improved speeds. The speed from sata 3gb/s and sata 6gb/s are not noticing. But with an SSD it is...

That's not what you asked though :)

I think even with an SSD, you'd need a RAID 0 array of several drives and a good controller to need more than a 3gig interface.

TRENDING THREADS